can a stander stripe?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, May 5, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i'm going to buy a wright stander as soon as i can, but just wondering if anyone knows how well they stripe.... i posted a similar question in the wright forum, but want some unbiased responses too.... also anyone whose used one, whats the best blade set up for each application...(side discharge, mulch, and bagging)...

2. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one, I think it was last year. It stripes good, atleast on tall fescue. Hope this helps.

3. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

i have a 52 inch Wright stander and it stripes very well. I bet if it had a striping kit it would stripe even better, I use high lift blades for side discharging and it spreads the grass very good. for a striping kit I was thinking of attaching a piece of flexable rubber on the back of the deck instead of a roller or chains. Has anyone else here ever tried this type of setup?

4. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Weird you asked about the flexible rubber. I found a mud flap off a big rig and was thinking of trying to use it to make a stripe kit. I figured if it were fastened to the deck hanging maybe an inch or so lower that this might work nicely. What do you think?

5. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about. A mud flap would be perfect. I'm surprised nobody else on here uses this. I think it would be more practical than a roller and it would work better than chains. I might just have to try this out. If anybody else uses this technique please tell me how it works.

6. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I've tryed this before with part or a conveyor belt (alot stronger than a mud flap). The only problem is it cuts off air flow to the back of the deck. You may end up with missed cut strips of grass, stringers and front blow out. If you are going to try it. Use spacers between the deck and flap.

7. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

There is a crew that does a local pub works facility with Wright's. I have to admit I was jealous of the stripes that it puts down. I will post the pic if I have the camera and they have curecently.

8. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

pretty well without any striping kit. The way these are built it is very easy to keep the 1/8 to 1/4' pitch needed. I am looking forward to cutting some nice fescue soon so I can really see what it looks like but am only doing mostly bermuda, fescue,weed combinations in my area. Since I only do a few side jobs I have not really considered doing overseeding for people but I may be in the future. I have tried to convince a couple of my jobs this year to let me overseed and fert in the fall but neither one has bitten yet. The other problem is that around here everybody wants their grass cut at 2' or 2 1/2' at the most so its harder to stripe well at this length I think. My neighbors say my yard looks like a baseball field and it is mostly bermuda so I guess the Surfer stripes pretty well.

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I was wondering the same thing.. we have a Wright dealer here and saw a guy use a stander in a small area with a couple trees and a curb. Much quicker than a wb or ztr because he doesn't have to walk and he doesn't have the cumbersome z that he can't see it all with. It was fast and cut good too. I was even thinking about a smaller one in a year or two instead of a wb or ztr, kind of a middle ground in a way. Probably more maneuverable than a wb too since it's shorter. I'd like to see the pics. Never seen stripes on bermuda because no one around here strips really but there is some bermuda here. I stripe though. best in town!
    Eric

10. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

most everything here is bermuda and i'm sure that it will stripe nicely if it's atleast 2.5" ... but i've never seen a single lawn around here with stripes on it.. not real stripes anyhow, just tire tracks that people seem to think are stripes...