1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can anybody give me opinions on the 36" Wright Stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JaysLawns, Sep 24, 2007.

1. JaysLawns

JaysLawns LawnSite Member

Yeah im going to be mowing some apartment complexes and it has some tight areas. Amybody out there that has an input about this mower would be great. Thanks

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Good mower for tight areas....we have Sentar Sport with 17hp and RH adjustment. The rapid height adjustment is very important. We have 600 hours on our unit and have had some parts that wore out (spindles, starter relay, dentent in RH, throttle cable but all in all we are very happy with the unit. Almost all that stuff was under warranty. We mulch 100% with outlet closed year round and the unit does just fine in our grasses.
  3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

You would think you could run at least that many hours with zero problems on a machine. I love Standers but Im afraid to buy one after reading posts like this.
  4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36 Sentar Sport with over 450 hrs and none of the above problems great cut, just use Scag 3'' wide hi lifts and you will be verry impressed and it stripes like a dream
  5. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 32". I like it. My only complaint is that it won't hold on a slope if you're mowing along the slope. It will tend to scuff the turf when it's wet or making a sharp turn too.
  6. Siesta Key Lawn Service

Siesta Key Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I had a 36" stander-sold it-too many problems with it mechanically. It also left too many ruts in the yards due to narrow tires. A small walk behind works best for me on small properties.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the wide tires and really like the mower but I am going sour on it from failures. In addition to the items above they put a new starter in yesterday, and oil seal under the flywheel and front tire fork bushings wore out(even though they got greased weekly). Dealer did say I could put the Scag spindles in it when it gets out of warranty....at least most of my fails were under warranty.
  8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

They are really taking off around here. I see alot of guys that have them. There is this one LCO in the area who has like 6 of them....
  9. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

I've posted on here a number of times about the standers. I have a Sentar and a Stander.......LOVE EM'. They fit well in the enclosed trailer. They are fast and nimble. I would like an improved cut though. Tried varius blades, some better than others at different time periods of the season.

Wider tires would make a difference. As others said, quick turns will scar the lawns.

FALL CLEANUPS are a breeze with the grass catcher attachment. You can't go wrong with a 36". Big enough to get medium sized jobs done and small enough to fit through gates.

Good luck to all that have these machines and be confident in your purchase if you decide to buy one.
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

They sound ideal for small areas on Northern grasses. I'd love a stander type mower but I think I've seen maybe 3 Wright standers in use in 15 years here in Atlanta. I see a few more of the JD/GD versions, but still not many. Every dealer near me carries them a while then either goes out of business or drops the brand, which tells me they're not a hit here. I think they may have a problem handling low cut grass (1.5"-2.25") with the deck designs not being super floaty. And of the ones I've seen in use, it was big companies doing complexes where cut quality maybe wasn't the highest priority, rather than individual homes where they'd be more picky on how it looked afterwards. But they sure beat a wb/sulky in many tight spots, and they are likely lighter on turf than a ztr. You'll see varied reports on cut quality and problems if you do a search.