1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can Anybody give me some tips on striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paridise, Feb 28, 2005.

1. paridise

paridise LawnSite Member

Striping is something i would like to learn how to do could anybody give me some pointers
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

The easiest way to do it without getting fancy rollers or messing with your height adjustment is to go one direction 2-3 weeks in a row getting some lines established and then the next week go the opposite way, then the next week go back to the first direction and the week after back to the opposite and so on and so forth
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

and after you get the basics, do a Google search for David Mellor...
  4. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

In my high dollar accounts I charge a little bit more but with my two man crew one goes one way and the other goes the other way every time. It takes a little longer sine both of us are mowing and not one on the trimmer but looks great everytime. But with one person I would agree with packerbacker.
  5. Mowmoregrass

Mowmoregrass LawnSite Member

Buy a Dixie Chopper. Look at ELMLAWNSITE, it is linked to the Dixie Site
  6. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I'm amazed at the number of people on here who are mesmerized by striping...especially if it costs them an ounce of extra time or money. I don't get it. I just want to make money.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

having a lawn with nice grass like a turf fescue (instead of field weeds) helps.

8. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Striping is what seperates LCOs from 14 year olds with push mowers. It can make average lawn look wonderful.
  9. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Well said packerbacker. What's a customer want somebody to mow in circles for $50 or someone to strip for $50? I don't know about you guys but I would go with the guy that stripes, it can make a lawn look five times better. Most of the time it doesn't even take all that long. It's what separates the professionals from the average mowing guy.
  10. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Learn to pole-dance...the tips are better!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist :D