1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can anyone else do this

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bug-guy, Jul 18, 2008.

1. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

other than green doctor

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Its easy down here. Just take the tops of your fresh pineapples and basically set them on the sandy soil and they will grow and produce some of the sweetest fruit you ever had!! Small yes, but sweet!!
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Thats pretty cool! They would probably do well around here...
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

No I am sorry, every island in Hawaii is unable to produce that product

I hope you have not shown your girlfriend that

Joking, very cool
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

One of the nicer Pineapple plants I have seen. I believe I am farther south than you here in Zone 10. Pineapples are some what common here. I can't remember seeing a pineapple ready to picked. In fact your is the best I have seen.
  6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you place rotting apples at the base?
  7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Or did you possibly use some NA, or 2,4-D?
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Florida was another state that had a pineapple industry, if I am not mistaken. Third world countries and US companies operating out of those countries changed that. It happened in Hawaii with sugarcane and pineapple.
  9. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

as a matter of fact we have three large plants like that one. none ever bloomed so i did cut an apple in half and place them next to the plant.

going to get more apples today
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green Doctor

To my knowledge there are no commercial Pineapples grown in Florida Present day. However My area was once the Pineapple capital of America before refrigeration. We were the southern most point on the RR line so shipping Fresh was the reason for growing Pineapples here. The pineapples were not the same variety as grown today. Most Pineapple Plantations were only 5 acres and family run. (No Slavery here) From what I am told Pineapple plants produce better in their second and third year. I am a local History Buff and My area was where in 1521 the Spanish build the first colony on North American soil. Ponce De Leon was shot with an Indian Arrow here and developed an infection and was taken back the Cuba where he died on the ship under way and is buried in Havana. Our colony never survived so St Augustine is the oldest surviving town.