1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can anyone explain this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bethelboy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Bethelboy

Bethelboy LawnSite Member

I have a quick 36 superduty and it is leaving a strip of uncut grass between the left blade and the center blade. I have not hit anything to warp the deck, my blades are sharp, and it has done the same thing with two different sets of blades. Has anyone ever had this problem and how can I fix it? Thanks ahead of time for any advice.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How wide is this strip of grass?

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

a Bent Spindle!

Joe... :angry:
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a thought.

That is the area of highest pressure under mower deck. You could actually be blowing the grass down in that area.

5. Bethelboy

The strip of grass is probably 2 inches wide and it is forcing me to run over it again and wasting a ton of time. It is very frusterating. Thanks guys...anymore ideas?
  6. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Is the deck clogged? Sometimes when the buildup is major you have an area below the blades that is actually wider than the blades which lays the grass down when it should be cut. Just a possibility.
  7. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Look at your belt and make sure it's not slipping and also your tension spring and if it is very old, replace it. I had the same with my Walker mower deck and the blade was slipping in heavy grass so I ended up mowing slow.
  8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

could also be the fact its not one of the big 7
  9. GroundControl

GroundControl LawnSite Member

How tall is the grass and at what height are you mowing?

I also have a quick 36 and mowing tall Bermuda that has seeded tends to bend it down instead of cutting it. Oldtimer is correct.

This mower cuts as well or better than the big 7.

Being that yours is a Super Duty I am positive with the increased power that that is the problem.
  10. Bethelboy

The cutting hieght is 2 or 2.5 inches. The length of the grass I mow varies greatly. It is noticeable unless I am mowing grass that has hardly grown at all. If the pressure is blowing it down instead of cutting it, how do i fix that? Thanks.