Can Anyone Get a Demo Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BanvilleLawnCare, Oct 21, 2007.

1. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new mower real soon and would like to try before I buy. I just have no idea if there are any qualifications or restrictions on who can demo a mower. Do you have to be a large commercial busuness, or just know the right people?

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of dealers will let you demo a mower whether its in the parking lot at the dealer or at home on a lawn. Lots of dealers are reluctant to demo because alot of demos do not result in the sale of equipment and the dealer has to deal with wear and tear on a machine. I would contact the manufacture of your choice and see if they can set you up with a dealer that will willingly demo a piece of equipment. As far as knowing the right people that helps too, nothing like spending money at a dealer to get him motivated or showing him a truck full of equipment you have purchased in the past.

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I demoed my 260Z this spring and they didn't even ask for a piece of ID. I had it for 3 days. The other Gravely dealer in town does not even offer demos. I think a lot of it comes down to how many machines they are moving.

4. cgaengineer

I demoed a Ferris and they delivered it and picked it up the next day.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It depends upon the dealer you go to. Around here, it seems dealers will only let you demo in their parking lot, or surrounding grassy areas if they have any.

6. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Well I guess I won't know until I ask my dealer. I'll ask next time i'm there.

7. cgaengineer

The dealer where I purchased my Toro let me take it out in the rear alley...that was as much test time I got behind the mower.

8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on your dealer and the relationship that you have with them. My dealer will give me anything I want to try out. No questions asked. I'm not a huge company, but I have spent between 30-35K with him this year. He knows I might not buy a particular piece of equipment right then, maybe not ever. Whatever it is that I think I have an interest in, there's no way I'm buying it without a demo first.

9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd find another dealer. That won't cut it with me. No pun intended.

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

You can't be sure that you'll like a mower until you mow tall grass, wet grass, tall wet grass and slopes. Sometimes a different style blade will make a huge difference.