Can anyone get there Walker to Stripe?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky05, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all,

Anyone who has a walker mower can you get it to stripe well? I just recently purchased one and it cuts very nice but I really cant get it to lay down some decent stripes anyone got any tricks they use like tilting the deck pitch, or does walker make a striping kit. Just wondering Thanks

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

How did you get your Walker to NOT stripe? What are you cutting? I get really good stripes on fescue with mine, and pretty good stripes on bermuda. Walkers are supposed to stripe without any kit or anything, there must be something boogered up about yours.
    [​IMG]

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

3 tire tracks this way, 3 tire tracks that way :eek:

A few guys are running them here too.
    I have maintained a respect for walker mowers.

But my opinion/taste tells me the walker cut looks like s#it.
    And I mean no disrespect by that.

The finished cut appearance just does not happen to match my definition of a fine cut.
    It's not just about the stripes or tire marks either...

I feel the same way about the looks of anything cut with a 21" mower.
    Most any grass that is not really stiff and really resiliant looks just horrific to me when cut with a 21".

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Guess they don't teach that at penn state.....

5. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

i have never seen a walker that wouldnt stripe! you didnt say the size of yours, but on a 48 just run the edge of the uncut grass along the outside of the front caster. stripes perfectly.

josh

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

let me ask you this.. what height are you cutting at and what type of turf are you cutting? a natural stripe is better achieved with a taller cut height (bends the blades of grass). i cut anywhere between 2 1/2" and 3" and at 3" it stripes pretty fair.

here's some stripes on zoysia at 3"

[​IMG]

7. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

you have to try hard, real hard for a Walker not to stripe well! My Walker stripes just as good if not better than my Quick36 with a roller on it.

8. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

I think the Walker stripes look different than other mowers because of the fact that the Walker blades are spinning in opposite directions (towards each other), Where other mowers blades all spin in the same direction.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

The only way to leave a well defined perfect stripe is to have a striping kit i know i run the kits.

10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

My 48" MTGHS stripes fairly well, but like what was said before, the blades spinning in different directions & the 3rd wheel cancel out some of the stripe. I cut @ 4" or so & that makes a pretty big difference.