Can Anyone Give Me An Idea Of What Chemicals To Use ???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Wright48, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

Im currently using scotts 4 steps but i was just wondering how other lanscapers set up there chemical package, what do you charge for it ,what do you use how often do you spread the chemicals??

2. landvet

landvet LawnSite Member

I don't want to insult you, but are you a licensed chemical applicator?

3. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

Not yet im wondering if i should bother because the scotts seems to be working quite well

4. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

This is really scary.....

Wright48, we're not trying to be rude, but if you're a homeowner looking for advice on your own lawn(which I really hope is the case here), I would suggest moving to the Homeowner Assistance forum at the bottom of Lawnsite's main page. If you're actually a contractor, it doesn't look like you've had any traininig/certification for pesticides regardless of how skilled/knowledgeable you may be with mowing, planting, etc, so my advice is to stick to a basic plan that your fert distributor can help you with. Next step, partner up with someone outside of the forum to get some chem training and pesticide certification....otherwise you're gonna get torn up on this thread.

Shane

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I hope you don't get torn up, your question is an innocent one. Many maintenance guys have no idea that you are required by federal law to be a licensed applicator to apply ANY pesticides for pay. It doesn't matter if it is 200 gallons of Dursban or Scotts with Halts, both are, or contain an EPA registered pesticide and your state dept of agriculture will come down on you like a ton of bricks if you get caught. The fines can be as little as $50, but that is per incident, per property. So if you apply Scotts with Halts to 10 lawns, then Weed and feed to the same 10 lawns six weeks later, that would be a $1,000 fine.

I had a mowing crew out a few yrs back. A guy pulls up in a car and asks my foreman, "Do you fertilize and kill weeds?" My foreman thinks he is interested in getting a bid, I am a licensed applicator, he is not. My foreman says, "Yeah, we do that stuff." Meaning me. Turns out the guy was with the Dept of Ag. Searched the truck and trailer, had he found any evidence of spray/fert equipment, I would have been toast. As is, my guy was able to convince him that he had misunderstood the question and was referring to me. That inspector checked back with us regularly for the next 2 months to make sure I was the only one doing applications. :dizzy::dizzy:

Here is my advice;
    If you are interested in treating lawns, get licensed. In many states it is as simple as passing a test. You are in NJ, BobbyGedd, a former forum member said a chimpanzee could pass the NJ test, and he did, so he was probably right. :laugh::laugh: I believe you also need proof of insurance there.

If you are not interested in going down that road, I would look into subbing out those services.

Good luck.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Heck, in NY the penalties are much more severe.... anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 per violation. One guy just got slapped with $75,000 and the DEC wants jail time. The only reason more people don't get caught is because there aren't very many DEC policemen around.... and yes, they are law enforcement. Unmarked cars, the whole thing.

7. landvet

landvet LawnSite Member

Seriously consider subbing things out right now, and at the same time be proactive and start talking to the right people about becoming licensed, such as your state chemists office. Good luck.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know about anyone else but I feel like I'm part of a pack of wolves now....

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Dido what the others said, but would like to ad that in alot of states application of a pesticide without a license is also a criminal offense! Not to mention the liability involved if you F up.
    here is alink, there is a number at the bottom. You should call to see how to be compliant. Good luck!

http://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp.html

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I just read the first post and quit.....!

Just think how many guys are out here just "throwing" this stuff around!

States need to focus on this bull crap....instead of worring about us guys out here doing it right!

Wright 48,

I am sure you probably don't know any better in what you are doing, but that doesn't make it right!
    I guess what I am trying to say is.... If I didn't know it was against the law to snort Cocaine, I would still be breaking the law (horrible example but it is all I could think of):).

1) Professionals don't use a Scott's program.

2) You are breaking the law!

3) Get Licensed!

4) Learn a ton before you ever apply as you can cause a lot of damage with what you are doing (it is important to understand how to use pesticides).

Moral of the story....either get licensed or quit doing apps.