Can anyone give me some good tips about how to do good striping

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Apr 18, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Any tips or advice on how to stripe would be appreciated, ive been trying but im sure im not doing it right. You can see my stripes on my other post but any help would be appreciated.

2. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

prob just get better as you go, bet it won't take you long at all.

3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I'll try. make at least one if not two perimeter passes throwing the clippings in. I alternate over four weeks. one week I mow "north and south" then the next week "east and west" then "NW to SE" then "SW to NE". that way you minimize the chance of rutting the yard by following the same pattern over and over. ONe tip I have learned is line up with something...anything..tree, corner of house, light pole and zero in on it. Drive towards it. this gives you a straight line to work off of. One tip. Lets say there is a tree in the middle of the yard. Don't line up dead center to it. Rather set yourself up so that you pass it with the left side of the deck almost against the tree. this way when you come back on that pass, you pull up to the tree, turn right to go around it, circle the tree and go on your way. By the way, the trick to good stripes, never go the oppposite direction over something you have already mowed. in the example above. you are coming up to a tree. there is the pass you just made to your left and unmowed grass to your right. when you circle the tree, you will be going the same direction as you did when you come around on the left side of the tree. that is how you make it look like you drove through the tree.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure your deck is level front to back and side to side.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

yeah bigw, something isn't quite right with the cut on your ztr. It's very noticeable in your pics that you posted. I don't think it's something that "can't" be figured out.

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

hmmmm the best single tip i have will make a world of difference.....

buy a scag!!!!! :laugh::laugh:

7. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

great help pic

8. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

mow high. use a striper.

9. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I keep my decks very clean underneath and use different blades that give more lift (create more vacuum). the way to keep the deck clean is you can put some oil on the deck and it keeps the grass from sticking and as for the stripes well i really have no tips except for mow straight and fast is not always better when striping.

10. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Wear 3-D glasses when you mow.