Can anyone help me identify this evergreen

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by CK82, Apr 1, 2009.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

A few of my customers have these small pyramind shaped evergreens. Generally they get diseased of brown spots and die out. I am trying to save a row of these evergreens for a customer. They are unusually large from what I have seen in the past and prior to the winter were in excellent condition. Now they have brown spots and look to be not doing so well. Any ideas on the type of evergreen and possible treatments for them?!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Forgot to attach the pictures!

DSC00734.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Dwarf Alberta Spruce.

As for what it has, I'd be guessing... I've seen ones around here with the same problems. We usually assume spider mites in the summer months. Since that pic was taken recently, I assume, it must be damage from the winter of some sort, too dry or just too cold?

4. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Any idea of treatments for this evergreens condition? Strictly fertilzation, or a broad disease treatment?

5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

I would say just keep watered and wait till warms up for a while and see if it puts on new growth. If it does, it's still alive and just trim some pf the dead stuff off without ruining the shape.

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

alberta spruce are a pain in the a$$. Looks like spider mites, I had a real problem around here last year with that. Its done, you will not get it back after it looks like that.

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

With that much damage, better off replacing with something more pest and disease resistant. Unfortunately, Dwarf Alberta Spruce do not fill in very well from spider mite or winter damage, so those brown spots need to be pruned out and a hole will remain.

Kirk

8. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty sure its winter burn. Not an expert but alot of dwarf albertas got hit hard last winter around here also. Most that are at the point your at were trashed and replaced.
    They should have some winter protection.

9. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member