Can Anyone Identify This Sprinkler

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, May 24, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Found this today during a backhoe dig to replace two 4" tees that were leaking at one of our sites. I suspect it's Toro based on the inlet of the sprinkler looking a lot like a 640.

Unknown Toro Sprinkler IV-01.jpg

2. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Yep , that is one of dem dere sprinklers.:nono:

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry I can't help ya !!!! I have no idea:confused:

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Toro POS maybe?

5. Looks like a 650/670 series to me....650 being part circle....670 being full...those drives shared that body style. I think you wacked off the top of the head though :)

Valve in head or checkomatic?

6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Looks like a 1" inlet. Thats not a valve in head. 6 series for sure. Ive got a few of those i dug up on a jobsite one time.

7. PurpHaze

I'm with Koster and Tony after looking at the Toro website. It has to be a 650/670/690 sprinkler based on the flaring from the inlet to the body and that it's only a partial. We've never used these in our district so I'm assuming it was buried by the original irrigation contractor on this site some 15 years ago. :)

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I'm late reading as usual these days, but yes toro, golf type head. My memory for numbers is bad, but I thought there was a pre 670 in that design. Looks like some of the Toro golf stuff I fell not in love with back in the early 80's. Plastic was cheaper so we ended up with a bunch of them. Never came close to the reliablitily of the Buckner brass gear. I would have traded them all for a bird in a can instead, but those old buckner gears where the best...........1360's or a number real close to that on the buckner. The Toro might have still been a 600 number, but they made some major improvements.

9. Hey bic...ever remove a check valve from a 600 series valve in head with the water on? I did that ONCE back in the early 80's....never did that again.

10. PurpHaze

THAT I would have liked to have seen. :laugh:

Reminds me of the time a do-gooder was doing some work on a varsity baseball field. He was trying to unscrew a 1-1/2" QCV from its swing joint with the water on. Knucklehead. :dizzy: