Can anyone realy mow a lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packey, Apr 27, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

O.k. I have heard it time in and time out that anyone can mow grass. Most often this statement comes from one of two groups. Either the educated white collar worker or the uneducated untrained laborer. I wish both would realy consider what they are saying.

What is true is almost anyone can push a mower. What is not true is that anyone can mow.

A you know a person can mow your lawn when
    1. they understand what height to cut your type of grass
    2 When they understand why you mulch and why you bag
    3. When they can mow a lawn without butchering it.
    4. when they can mow effeciently and not waste time
    5. when they can look at a lawn and tell a person how it needs cut for best results
    6. When they understand how to operate a mower without destroying it.

I have more things a person needs to be able to do before they can be considered a person who can mow. However what are some of the things that others of you can think of.

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

-They have to watch out for certain obstacles such as hills or debris. hills and ZTR's don't mix well.

3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Thinking there ZTR is just like a 4 wheeler,taking it on Steep hills. Yes some hills can be mowed with a Z ,But when it flips and kills them obviously it was to steep.:hammerhead: Or thinking there 12 year old can operate it from day one. Runs over the water -mane or dog.:hammerhead:

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

For me this is the kicker:

CAN THEY STRING TRIM WITHOUT BUTCHERING THE EDGES OF THE LAWN AND ALL OBJECTS ATTACHED THERETO?????

I am absolutely astonished at how hard it is for people to actually hold a string trimmer steady and not scalp or bounce, etc... and still get done in a reasonable amount of time...

5. pdenney11

pdenney11 LawnSite Senior Member

You need to be in decent physical shape. 85% of my customers are not physically capable of mowing their own yard. They even tell me that they just can't get out and take care of their yard anymore. Either because they are getting to old or they are 300+lbs and would die from heat exhaustion.

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Making sure the mower is in the best shape to mow, ie; sharp blades, correct tire pressure, clean mower( won't transfer disease). I see a lot of guys who know the process of mowing, but seem to think they bought a $10,000 machine that needs no maintenance and can mow great with flat tires, or blades that have been through 2 seasons of cleanups and never seen a sharpener. There is a difference between guys who mow yards, and those who offer lawn care.

7. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

Hey Packey - I hear you. I'm one of those "educated white collar workers" that you mentioned - PhD, college professor, neuroscientist. I mow my own lawn, but if I want to know about lawn care I come here. No way I know half as much about lawns as most of the people on this site. If I ever decide to hire someone I'll look first to the LCOs who hang out here. Thanks to all for the great info!

8. I think the two groops can be further defined as;

People who don't give and LCO credit for what he does because of their ignorance.

People who are motivated to not give credit to an LCO in an effort to make the job seem simple and easy so they can pay you less than what it's worth.

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with this one !!

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you are confusing cutting a lawn with maintaining a lawn.

my wife can cut my lawn, but she can't maintain it.

I don't cut my lawn efficiently, I uses a 19" push reel mower...heck most homeowners who cut their own lawn are not doing it efficiently, heck we all know a z or a wb is more efficients than a lawn tractor or a 21" push...

and I don't understand #5, are you referring to cutting it in different directions?

edging, string trimming, and blowing make the cut. you could cut grass absolutely perfect, but a crappy blow, or edge or trim, and its a waste.

just my thoughts