Can anyone recommend a good rear tine tiller?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by New2TheGreenIndustry, Mar 10, 2013.

1. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I'd love to find a used Honda for under a grand, but can't guarantee that will happen. Any other recs out there for rear tine tillers?

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a fan of the old Garden Way designed Troy Built Horse model. This is how I started in the biz hence the screen name. The ones made by MTD last I knew are roughly the same but lacked the fit and finish of the older ones. PTO model are safer in transport.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. New2TheGreenIndustry

from GA

One like this???

[​IMG]

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The tillers are all built by Artisan, and from what I understand, you'll find tillers built ONLY by Artisan... check that Honda one and see if it is Artisan and only a Honda engine makes the difference...

5. Exact Rototilling

Yes. Fair amount of fiddle factor with the belt adjustment but I still like the tiller. The bumper engine guard is a must to the engine and safety of operation. I would not run one without it ever.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. New2TheGreenIndustry

from GA

This is the Honda I would love to pick-up. It's the one I always pay like $100 bucks a day to rent and very stout.

[​IMG]

7. Exact Rototilling

Never used the Honda myself. Few years back I rented a Baretto and I was not impressed. Tines would stop in hard ground, much harder on the back stain wise. I would not even consider running one now.

The BCS tillers look appealing. On of my clients I aerate for has one...I should demo it this spring.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. robert@honda

robert@honda LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Home Depot Rental shops have the big Honda FRC800, and sell 'em off after a few years. Most are well-maintained (oil/filter changes) and might need some new tines or tires, and can be had a lot less than new.

The FRC800 has been in production for a while, and parts are in-stock (or can be ordered) form any Honda dealer.

-Robert@Honda
    Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

9. New2TheGreenIndustry

from GA

Hey Robert.....Any idea of cost on a used rental unit locally? I'm seeing $1,100-$1,600 on ebay. Also, would I go direct to the rental department?

10. Son's Lawn Maintenance LLC

Son's Lawn Maintenance LLC LawnSite Member

Honda all the way!!