Can anyone suggest a good weed eater to cut down brush?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stampede, May 28, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks Stampede.
  2. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

what size brush are you cutting? I've been specializing in this since 97, no lawn care work(unless you call bushhogging lawn care).

As far as brands go, I stick with Husky and stihl. I know other companies are now making brush cutters but these brands have been around for a while. The huskys feel like they have more hp, the stihl more torque at a lower rpm. I use husky 245, 250, and 265 rx machines. I use a stihl 550 as well. The stihl is an awesome machine for cutting up to 3.5" trees. The huskys work well too but have smaller blades and less torque. I only use 3 point blades, the chisel type dull too fast and the 3 pointers can cut at or below ground level if there are few rocks. Stihl also makes the best harness(these machines are heavy-25 lbs.) Get a good helmet and face shield, and wear safety glasses. These are the most tempermental machines I've ever used, and rarely start the first time. I have 3 in the shop right now... they can generate some revenue if you market the service though.

If you need to mow brush look into getting a walk behind bush hog- I use a billy goat but several other companies have improved on the idea since I bought mine- they have hydrostatic trannys and tilting decks for rougher terrain, lockers, better gripping tires, etc.

Let me know if you need to know anything else,
  3. Stampede

Stampede LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thank you for your reply, what I need is something for brush that grows around a small creek on my mom's place. Dad has a Craftsmans brush cutter, but that thing isn't powerful enough, and you can't use the blade, it will break the shaft drive in it. I want something that won't bog down. Mom said that dad regretted not buying a Stihl.
    You stated that stihl can cut up to 3.5 dia trees, that sounds like what I want. Would know about a price on that?
    You also stated:
    These are the most tempermental machines I've ever used, and rarely start the first time. I have 3 in the shop right now... they can generate some revenue if you market the service though.

What kind of problems are you having?
    Also what type of work do you do?
    And what do mean by Billy goat? Real billy goats or is that brand of a mower?

I'm also looking for a ZTR mower, that might need some work, new engine, ect.

Thanks Stampede.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

A billy goat is a mower brand name,they make other equipment as well.
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Shindaiwa T270, nothing but a work horse. Will cut a beer bottle in half, brush is nothing to it. I have a few, they can NOT be beat....stihl and others PALE in comparison.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

hands down for me is a Stihl...a lot of power
  7. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

elephantnest, what diameter brush are you cutting? The shindaiwa you're talking about is a smaller unit(28cc?), and is probably fine for cutting light brush, but I personally wouldn't use anything that doesnt have bicycle handlebars. Heres a link to that model-

the stihl fs 550 I'm talking about is much larger(57cc)- heres a link

If I remember right the husky 265rx was around 1k, the fs550 around 1400 with 3 or 4 blades(45 bucks a piece)

I'll try to post later with more details, but things are really busy right now...
  8. drains

drains LawnSite Member

I have a Shin T-260 and a T-261 and when I cut brush with them I use a Shin Tornado blade. They will go through 3.5 inch saplings like they arent even there. I cleaned out 250 feet of brush and saplings along a fence a while back and I ran the trimmer while two others pulled and stacked the cut brush. I kept them both running and cussing the whole time. The only complaint I have is the blade dulls a little to fast for me and they arent cheap. I think I paid 20 something for mine at a dealer but probably could get one off ebay or something a liitle cheaper. You can sharpen it though with a file. Wear ALL the safety equipment called for because this is a no BS brush destroying setup and it could just as easily take a leg or arm off of you or someone that is close by. Make sure you know where everybody is at ALL times, where YOU can see them not where you think they were a while ago or where you think they SHOULD be. I'm not kidding I use this setup quit a bit and it dont know or care if its a tree limb or a body limb its taking off. This setup is a great time and labor saving tool but like I said above and cant stress enough, you cant be to careful with it because it cuts so fast and so completely that its scary sometimes because you catch yourself becoming unaware of the consequences of being careless even for a second. Be AWARE at ALL TIMES.