Can anyone tell me about slitseeding/slicer?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Jan 2, 2010.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I have never seen one personally and I doubt there is one within 400 miles of me. I'm always looking for ways to get new work and have an edge over other guys and was thinking about offering this. I'mguessing it would be done in the spring? I do powerraking and aerating so I'm slicer seeding would be the last step if I did all three. Can anyone add to this. Thanks.

2. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the Lawn Solutions web site and a slit seeder would be nice to have, but I don't have enough reseeding business to justify buying one. From what I read on here, they do a better job than just aerating.

If reseeding, I just aerate and make plenty of holes. but aerating and using a slit seeder would give better results.

If you do alot of lawn renovations, it would probably pay to have a slit seeder.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Aeration makes a 2-3 inch deep hole, which isn't the recommended depth. Usually about 3-4 inches apart which is not the recommended width.

A slit seeder quickly plants at the recommended depth with the rows spaced as close as possible. It is definately an overkill if you are simply over seeding.

You do mostly your overseeding in the spring? So you do not use a CG pre-emergent?

4. cmlandscapeconstruction

cmlandscapeconstruction LawnSite Member

anyone on this site that has not checked out lawn solutions machine is missing out on the money, customer satisfaction and buisness expanding capabilites of this machine ive had mine for under 1 year and have increased my buisness expinecially i have over 300 to do for the 2010 season with little or no advertisement cost and i plan on another 300 before the season even starts. oh and mine are signed contracts=guaranteed work! dave if your out there i need a ride on!!!!!! chris

5. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

Chris, thanks for the feedback. Most people have no idea the impact that renovation work can have on a good LCO. Not only it is a huge money maker, but you will also get the annual contract for mowing, weed control, landscaping, etc...because the customer is going to go with who gives them results for their money. This service when done correctly has the largest WOW factor in the industry , it can really set your company apart and be the best marketing / advertising campaign possible.

I started Lawn Solutions from the profits made doing renovation work part time over a 2 year period. I took what I learned from doing part time renovations and made a machine that could make me more money in less time than what was currently on the market.

Would you be willing to share how the Turf Revitalizer has affected you customer retention, overall growth, and a lead-in for larger contacts? When coming from me (as an owner/sales person) people are skeptical that I'm just trying to sell equipment which is my intent, but my real intent is to teach how to grow your own business which in turn helps mine.

Have you looked at our 24" or 30" machines. They are monsters and very productive. If I were to get just one size, I would go with our new 24" model because it is only 35" wide (wheel to wheel) so it will go through almost all gates and it faster, wider, and more powerful than the 20" machine. But, if you have a 20" Turf Revitalizer already then I would look at a 30" unit to go with your 20" machine. Personally, I use a 30" machine on almost everything except where it won't fit. Kind of like getting a 48" mower when you have a 36" mower...the 36" always sits unless you have a gate that is too large for you 48" mower.

Thanks

David

6. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

It must not be very competitive in your area. Especially if you only seed in the spring, yet you still "have an edge" over the "other" guys. Too funny.

7. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Whipples- the BEST time to overseed or complete a seed job is in the late summer or early fall. Being in Great Falls, I would suspect you would want to do your work in late august. Fall is the best time as the soil temps are warm, the air is cool at night. This "tells" the grass seed its time to grow! Overseeders work well installing the seed into the dirt; however, you still will need to apply some started fert and ensure the newly seeded area gets sufficient water.

As a word of advise, puchase/ use seed that will perform well in your climate AND in your individual application.

8. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. I don't think anyone does this at all here. The grass here is either all fescue or 50/50 with Kentucky blue. All I have experiance with is powerraking, aerating, and hydroseeding which pays good when you get the work but it is so tuff to sell people on it. I had a guy down the road from me who built a new home on 2 acres of land so minus driveway and house he had about 1.60 acres to plant grass in. I quoted him about .8 cents a square foot and warranty successful growth unless its determined that lack of watering caused failure. I followed up with him 3 times and kept blowing me off. Finally in July a Semi load of sod showed up and with the help of about 5 of his buddies they spent the entire weekend laying sod. He paid .28 cents a square foot for it and then never watered it so it died off by August and may never regrow but will likely fill in with weeds:hammerhead: Guys like this should be required by law to permanantly where ****** helmets. All I could think is what complete dumbsh*t.

9. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

I just watch the video for the 9hp revitalizer on your website. I have a few questions about it. In part of the video you see no excess thatch but then towards the end you see excess thatch, if it leaves thatch what is the best way to clean the thatch up and will that disturb that seed that was just put down? What is the cost of the product as well?

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. :laugh:

Maybe I can make that an ad campaign. My business logo and contact information on a pre-cut and pre-tabbed cardboard, that rolls into a dunce-hat, and say to people, - "Here,,, a gift for your neighbor... Tell him it is the hat to wear in his lawn."
    When they think its for the neighbor, they don't get offended... :laugh:

There are places I drive by season after season, that really should have a talk with somebody, but I know they're not interestted in spending money on their lawn. And won't even take advice that saves them money.