Can anyone tell me about the Auger

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ztec, Mar 25, 2007.

1. ztec

ztec LawnSite Member

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Never used that brand or model, but if you dont have much rock, it looks like it should work for small drilling operations. I've rented one once locally, but couldn't get anywhere with it.
    I cant use anything less than a mini excavator around here b/c of rock. When I built my garage, we pulled up rocks the size of VW Beetles to set my poles!!

3. ztec

ztec LawnSite Member

forgot to mention 99% perecent of the time it will be used for 16" wide 48" holes

4. ztec

ztec LawnSite Member

the ad states engine pivots to keep it parallel to the ground, I would assume the other end would have to pivot right?

5. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have rented one just like that for a fence because couldn't get equipment in there and it was very weak. If you drilling in dirt then it is perfect but in rocky or areas with hard pack forget it.

My suggestion is get a skid mounted or find a mini skid (walk behind) and go that route. It will be more productive.

just my $0.02

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've rented one before for a small pole building. They work OK, they are definitly better than your typical 2-man auger.

But they are far worse than skid mounted augers.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Price for that auger is $2,000 plus shipping. Do you own a skid? I have never had an interest in using that type of auger, there are plenty of better options out there.

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a new hyd. augur for my ASV, from the dealer for less than that! (2 or 3 years ago)payup payup payup

9. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't bother. Here in Florida it ranges from sand (easy) to limestone...UGH! The skid mounted auger can go through sand, dirt or limestone and is a LOT easier to use. The ASV auger impressed me, it was a lot faster than using a tractor with PTO!