1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone tell me what i need to do in order to hire someone legally.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Apr 20, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering hiring someone even if only part time, what all do i need to do to make it legal? I am a sole propioter and am getting to the point i may need some help soon,or should i say would like some help.How would i do pay roll taxes and etc..etc...I just landed 5 more lawns this weekend and still have estimates out their. Most of my lawns are 1/2 acre or better so my days are getting longer and longer so im considering hiring someone soon! ANY other sole props ever hire anyone?
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

work your A$$ off first. This way all the income is yours.

5 new accounts in a weekend? Man you must $hit golden eggs. LOL

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I TOLD YOU the grass still is not growing and wait till we get 2 days of rain ,the fun has just started......your legs will be green till Dec.. Good luck and dont BITE OFF MORE THEN YOU CAN MOW....Find good help fast:usflag:
  4. bigw

Thanks guys but now can someone answer my original question please...lol
  5. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey jag, i agree completely and commented in bigs' other post.

big if you're listening... cool out with lining up TOO much work. i know this is not "rocket science" BUT having little and/or no experience running a lco there's a lot to learn before you go hiring others to work for you. in your situation, it's kind of a double edge sword... either you get someone with experience who can and/or will make you look (or feel) like you don't know what you're doing or someone with less experience and you'll end up paying them to be "babysat"! don't mess it up you got the sole proprietor formula... brand new, beautiful, top of the line equipment... get out there YOURSELF and DO IT!

just by looking at the equipment you posted, i shouldn't have to tell you, there's a lot of (your) $ at stake here! hiring others to tear up, abuse and destroy your investment... not one of your better ideas!!! get your feet wet before you go jumping into dangerous waters. if you bite off more than you can chew, you're gonna put yourself in a very precarious position. it's not a good game plan to sprint right out of the gate of a 25k run. always keep in mind it's not how much you make BUT what you keep!!! just my .02... good luck.
  6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I would also be leery of hiring so early, but if you need to, here's what you do.
    1) Change your business from a Sole Proprietor to a S-corp. Put yourself on payroll for a reasonable amount and take the rest of your profits as owner dividends. A good accountant is vital. Ask around and find one who has a good reputation. They will help you a lot. It may cost you some, but it will save you 3X what it costs.
    2) Use a payroll service. Once you are established and you have been doing this for a while, you may want to take over payroll, but right now your plate is full enough and will be fuller when you hire someone. The payroll service will also help you set up things like Worker's Comp and unemployment taxes and accounts where you can store your quarterly tax payments. It is different in each state, but you need someone to help you figure it out.
    Good luck.
  7. bigw

I understand but i am not about to turn down work either,i did not get into this to be complacent or to settle with a certain amount of jobs. The way the economy is right now i think id be a fool to turn down any accounts i can get my hands on.
    I am no dummy and have expierence with running a buisness and managing other people.I would only hire someone i know i can trust and am not worried about them making me look bad.I see just on here how tough people are finding it to find new accounts so i aint about to turn down accounts,i appreciate and understand what you are saying but i think ill take my chances on building my business.
    I got into this business with the dream of growing and even though its coming faster then expected im not about to change my buisness plan, i dont know too many compaines that got big by turning down work.

Trust me if i ever sensed i made the wrong decision by hiring someone or by getting to overwelmed i would simply cut back and go it alone again but i must atleast try to grow my buisness even if some may disagree. I also know that if i can run my buisness without turning down work and actually have to hire people that i will actually make more money as a whole.
    If i can cut down the time it takes to mow my lawns and pay 10-12$ hr to someone i can also take on many more lawns,a local LCO and a big one around me told me if i am hiring i am making more money and he is proof of that with hundreds of employees and yes he started out about 5 yrs ago as a sole prop! Anyway i do understand what you are saying and i will take all your advice to mind but right now i just cant say no to a potential customer!!!
  8. bigw

Hey thanks buddy an answer to my question. I do already have a very good accountant that deals with many lawn and landscape companies. What is the benifits of becoming an S-CORP?
  9. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey big, only YOU know what best for you! i appreciate your take no prisoners attitude but keep in mind... if you grow too fast and/or are more concerned with growth potential it may end up "costing" you in the end. regarding your friend who started out 5 years ago as a sole prop.... what works for one may not work for another. my ADVICE is merely intended to make you "aware" of possible pitfalls you may face.

growing too fast brings to (my) mind one of the best sub shops, i've ever been to. this kid had it all... great location, good employees, kick A$$ following, great food and fair prices. after 2 years he opened another store and 6 months after that, a 3rd. what happened?... everything went wrong! with him dividing up his time between 3 locations employees became lacky, quality was in the toilet, customer base dried up and he was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off desperately trying to regain his reputation and/or some sanity. less than 6 months after opening his 3rd store he had to close the doors on ALL of them. now he's back to cartering out of his van... right back to "his" starting line.

my point... be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. with "big" comes big headaches and/or responsibilities. gotta do what ya gotta do! again, good luck. have a good one.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Pretty much, you just have to make sure the employee is legal to work in the US, and make sure you pay him the 'legit' way, with a real payroll check, so the proper taxes are taken care of.

That's really it, as far as things you HAVE to do.

Search for the I-9 form on irs.gov, it'll show you how to make sure your guy is legit.