Can anyone tell me what this rock is called?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by fireman1173005, Aug 20, 2012.

1. fireman1173005

fireman1173005 LawnSite Member

Wondering if anyone can tell me what this type of rock is called. Wanting to call around and get some prices on it but I live about an hour from the closest place that would sell something like this so if you could help me out with a name I'd appreciate it. Thinking about making a flower bed out of something like it and using mortar to hold it together. Would anyone recommend using a concrete or motor base or just setting it on flat solid dirt?

Brian

Example3.jpg

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

The features of it are alot like limestone. You can see the quartz patches in it as well. Another feature often seen in limestone. But I'm not certain it is. We use it extensively and typically it is dry laid. If you do just a flowerbed border, laying it on dirt is essentially all you would need to do.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

kind of reminds me of NY blue but i've never seen it in chunks like that

4. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Yeah, looks like NY or Pennsylvania bluestone. Usually you see it in a different form- I would call that curb stone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

The color is hard to tell but looks like limestone from Wisconsin. They call it either Fon du lac or Eden from the city they are quarried.

6. GroundOneMN

GroundOneMN LawnSite Member

Possibly Eden or Fon du Lac, looks more like Chilton wall stone

7. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

8. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like Chilton Wall stone to me. Colors are hard to tell. If its greyish off white its probably chilton. If you see any reds or yellows also would be a sign of chilton.

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Definately NY/PA bluestone

Stone fence 009.jpg

stone fence 020.jpg

10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

looks like Eden Snap Edge (that's what it's called here ) 4" ? layed a gazillion feet of the stuff the last 2 years

PS on pricing...kinda pricey here because it is so dense, sold by the pound. If i remember right a pallet weigh about 4400 lbs