Can Belts Stretch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandscapeSolutions, Aug 11, 2005.

1. LandscapeSolutions

LandscapeSolutions LawnSite Member

Today I was mowing when my toro starting making a slapping sound from the deck. I took off the belt cover and discovered 'rubber dust' on the deck from the blade belt. The belt was what was slapping around....on what I do not know. I tried to put more tension on the belt, it made the slapping sound disappear. But still the belt seemed looser than it should have been.

A couple yards later the belt come off of the pulleys. I put it back on, but soon after it fell off again. I only had a couple yards left and just used my 36" on them all. Apparently Im going to need a new belt for the deck. The mower has about 2000 hours on it....I can only assume it is the original belt...I bought the mower used.

CAN BELTS STRETCH? Ive never had one stretch before? Do you think this was the cause of why the belt keep fying off?

PLEASE HELP!

2. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

3. LandscapeSolutions

Thanks!!

Thats what I figured. I picked up this POS used for $400, installed a new engine, painted the entire mower, replaced the blade clutch....plus too many other parts to list. My final price was $1500. But the damn thing keeps giving me problems.......hopefully this will be the last thing to go wrong as I have gone through everything else BUT the deck.

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

if you got 2000 hr out of that belt ill take ten of them . I change all belts yearly

5. LandscapeSolutions

I have no idea how many hours where on the belt.....I bought the mower with 1925 hours and now the meter reads 1940.

6. main street lawn service

main street lawn service LawnSite Member

Where I work now we sell all sorts of belts and belting products. make sure you have enough tension on the belts, and also not too much tension. Plus over time they will stretch.

I have a ton of Lawn Care companies coming in every year to change out belts. Something that is just a common, yearly thing to do. Gates makes a stronger belt than a normal v-belt for lawn applications.

Also check with your local Industrial Distribution Company. Our belts are much less than other ones out there..SAve you guys some $$.

Contact me if you want more info. I don't want to post company names or my contact info on this page.

Thanks.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think that the blade belt is only going to be 20 bucks. When i bought an extra belt for my eXmark it was $52. I got it for $40 since i got it with the mower. And the belts say TORO on them since toro bought exmark. So i think that it will be the same for you! Sorry! Just my thoughts. If anyone knows where i can get cheaper belts, i will buy them there. Thanks!

8. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

in my opinion your getting ripped off man i get the belt aftermarket from my lesco dealer and it only cost me 21.99 i looked at my reciept and i have a 52inch mower

9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

When you put your new belt on, make sure it's not too tight. You might have to loosen the tensioner a bit since you adjusted it to take the slack out of the old stretched belt. It shouldn't be so tight that there's no deflection.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

do you change them whether they need it or not?
    i only change mine when they break, i used to do that preventative maintenance crap, what a waste of money, I now get 100's more hours out of all my parts -
    I have a belt that was supposed to give out in spring, it's still running -
    every day my mower runs that belt is ONE more day I keep the $20 AND one more day before I need to replace the NEXT one.