1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can Bobcat Company retool in a year's time?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Feb 18, 2008.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Does anyone know or think that Bobcat can retool and develop a complete new line of Bobcats with piston pumps and pressurized cabs in a year's time?

I have heard that Bobcat is married to an old manufacturing process and it would be difficult to retool fast enough to develop a new line of skidsteers to compete with CAT's new design. However, I have also heard that Bobcat has something coming out that will equal or better the cab comforts, hp, and high flow performance of anything on the market by year's end.

Any thoughts on this?
  2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Necessity is the mother of invention. If your back is against the wall (and you realize it) it is inspiration or desperation.....I am a true believer that anything is possible. When it comes to corporate america who knows.......although, I do know if you throw enough money at something hard enough amazing results are possible overnight. Does BobCat "get it" and feel they need to make dramatic/immediate change? Only the board members can answer that.....
  3. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

I never heard this, but i hope its true. Bobcat needs to step up
  4. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

everybody is all over bobcat.. i tell you my s330 k series machine with all the sound insulation is great you dont hear a thing so nice to operate.. and it has tons of hydro power when i use it
  5. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Honestly? My thoughts are that Bobcat's already in the process of doing something, but I don't know what. I've sworn for years that the 773 was going to be replaced for Tier III emissions, but there's a little bird that thinks that the large machines will be replaced.

I will say this: they're darn good about keeping secrets. They definitely can't retool the entire factory in one summer, but I saw absolutely nothing to indicate that there's a new line of machines coming out when I was there in May 2007.

Something is coming, though -- I can promise you that. What it will be I have no idea... just my speculations.
  6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

My ears must be real sensitive. I have a brand new s300k with all the sound insulation and it is still noisy as hell and leaks dust when I mow or grade. I spent quite of bit of time this weekend installing rubber gaskets and using silicone to seal up more gaps I have found. This is in addition to the nearly full day of sealing, testing, and sealing that I did when I first took delivery of the machine.

Bobcat has issues that should have been resolved prior to adding air condition to this cab design. Not only do the cabs suck dust, the air that recirculates gets dirty and the evaporator fins eventually get clogged. I replace my air filters frequently in addition to just banging them out and they still get filthy.
    I love Bobcat and my machine is fairly low maintenance but the creature comforts feel a bit below par after 6 machines with enclosed cabs since 2001.

It's time for a change and I would like to see something soon but I may have to go with another brand since I don't like to operate on speculation about what's coming out.
  7. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

my s330 is a charm to operate maybe you should take a look into one of them yellow..
    i think the k series machines are great
  8. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I had mentioned before that Bobcat was going to go with an inline engine and do away with the transverse engine set-up. I also think that they will be going away from the Kubota engine.
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

didnt IR just sell bobcat recently?
  10. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Even my dealer tells me that the gear pumps aren't as efficient for running the high flow as a piston pumps. Your machine and my machine are the same except for a larger displacement motor, bigger tires, and some counterweights. I have the latest s300k with only 400hrs and the cab still leaks dust (hopefully better after my latest improvements).