can charity go too far

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wilson Edge, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

ok so on my street i mow the guy who lives across from me. Well i go over there to see if he wants it aerated for the year and he starts going on about how his neighbor's husband has lefter her and she lives all alone and he would like to pay for her lawn to be mowed. Now i mow his lawn for $20 just because if is right there and is hecka small. Well i tell him i can mower her lawn for $20 also. Which mind you my minimum for the year is $25. any way he says in that case he is thinking of buying his own equipment inless i can go lower. He tells me to call him when i have a bid. Im thinking i just gave you the bid but i agree any way. He ends up calling me the next day and so i tell him i could do all of it for $35 he asks if i could do it for $30 so i go in the middle at $32 so basicly i am mowing her lawn for $12. Is that going too far. I mean i think it will covor my expenses but then i put my time and get nothing for it.

2. I hope you don't fall for every sob story you hear, everybody has a sob story, Its great to help people, but you have bills to pay to.

3. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

if you set your minimums for the year at $25, there must have been a reason. $20 seems like enough of a break to me. you can even explain to him that you ARE giving her a $5 per cut break already. why even set a minimum if you'll do it for $12.

is he really going to go buy equipment and mow both their yards? (no) or is he just haggling? (yes)

JMO

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

begins at home, no deals, no way, no how, this is the minimum period.... at this rate you will be out of business before the end of the year

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i'll pay ya $12 to cut my grass

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Cutting 2 yards for 30 bucks, ain't gonna happen and I don't care if they are side by side, size of a postage stamp, I am on a fixed imcome blah blah blah. My minimum charge is 35, take it or leave it. I need some new yards badly but I refuse to do them for 15 bucks apiece! I will set home first and sell everything I have. These folks are shooting you the usuall line of s**t I have heard so many times. I guess after years of crap I put of with my skin has gotten very thin and I have grown much colder. Also once you let someone haggle you down they smell blood and it will never end. I would go ahead and replace these two quickly or get your price where you know it should be. If your minimum charge is 25 per yard then you should be getting 50 and not a penny less. Gas and equipment ain't going to get any cheaper.

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't believe you were kind enough to say that you would do both of them for $35 and he actually tried to get you to come down more. Some people, if I were you I would just do it for free so you look like the good guy not him cuz as far as the neighbor knows he is paying you to do the lawn...little does she know your only gettin $12 freakin dollars.

8. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

I had same situation last spring.
    Had group of 6 elderly ladies (guys around here call them bingo grandmas) they wanted group discount-
    One (the leader) goes “if you give me good price and do good job I will get you 5 more houses around the block-“
    These were small properties but allot of obstacles so you got to it with 21"
    So I go 120 monthly 10% discount because I like you (LOL)(big mistake) if you get me all 6 –I will give 15% discount with seasonal contract.
    She goes Ok for now just do mine with discount and I will get you all of them-I say ok I will give you this discount once I get all 6 contract and talk the those ladies.
    2 cuts later –no contracts no 6 properties and she gives me attitude that I am asking –did her for 1 month picked up the check (100$)(she took the 15% and 2$ off because she likes round numbers and its hard for her to balance her check book (what a load of …)
    Dropped her- went to the bar after work and vented out –my friend (whose been cutting for 25 years said that she did same thing to him few years ago-another guy asked if we were talking about bingo ladies (LOL)