Can Crew Chief take Truck home?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacPhersonlawn, Jun 15, 2005.

1. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Those of you with more than one vehicle do you let your crew chief take the truck home? I'm looking to get an additional truck and zoning does not allow me to keep more than one business vehicle in my yard. I was thinking of letting my Crew Chief take the truck home each day. He would appreciates the
    having a vehicle and I could get it out of my yard at night so no one "reports me". I realize that there will have to me a number of rules for its use during off hours but I was curious if other people allow this and how is it working?

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I can't answer the question directly, but have you thought about having magnetic signs and taking them off at night to keep the suspicion down?

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, but to and from work only no personal use.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what my foreman uses it fore ..... to n from work .... if he uses it on weekends fore something he gives me the heads up n puts some $$ in the tank ... I keep a weekly mileage log anyways n have a good id of what miles the "route is"

BUT I trust my guy to no ends .... just this week on Tuesday had 3 guys "call in" .... he went out with 1 guy n busted some yards out ..... we got em all caught up today

5. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, but keep a mileage log for sure.

6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Keep a log on the mileage and track your gas consumption. We let one of our survey people take the truck home, for security reasons, only to find out he was tending bar some 40 miles away until 2:00 am. How secure was our truck in a dark honky tonk parking lot, out in the boonies? Also double check with your insurance agent.

Jim

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

MacPhersonlawn, I used to do this - for the same reason you mentioned. I couldn't store more than 1 of my company trucks at my place so I always just made it a fringe benefit that the crew leader got to take the company truck home at night, with the understanding that it was to be used just to and from work. If they wanted to take it down to the grocery store or something for 340 minutes, that wouldn't matter too much. But I made it very clear that I didn't want them going all over town in my truck after hours. The crew leaders always loved it.

Now recently, I changed that policy. We have a big enough shop now that we can store all of our trucks at the shop at night. And honestly, I prefer that. They are safer there than in these run-down neighborhoods or appartment complexes where my employees live. So most of our trucks stay at the shop each night.

My foreman (been with us 6 years now - awesome guy) takes his home every night and 2 other workers take a truck home at night. But it's not because I wanted them to. They pay me to take them home. They fill the truck up with gas once or twice a week because I let them take it home. They don't have another vehicle to get to work in so it works good for both of us. And those two live in homes where it's a little more secure. But nowadays, the rest of our trucks are parked at the shop at night.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Can crew chief take the truck home? Absolutely not.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

No! No! No!

Rent a space for your truck where it will be secure, better yet, rent or purchase a building and get the stuff out of your driveway and away from your house. If your business is good enough to expand, the first thing you need is your own property to expand on. The tax advantages, security and investment appreciation make property ownership the best move for a small business.

If your emotion over rules your common sense then install a GPS tracker on the truck and tell the employee that it is for insurance reasons.

Contact your insurance agent and get his opinion about the issue. You are not following your insurance contract when the vehicle is not stored or kept at the location listed on the policy. Have the agent run the employee's DMV record and make that a policy for all new hires who might ever be allowed to touch an ignition key.

Starting any business and then trying to grow the business by following all the laws, rules and regulations is tough and just a few people succeed.

Oldtimer

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I let my crew leader take the truck, but he is my son-in-law too. He puts the gas in it, and pays the insurance on it, it has personel insurance on that certain vehicle. Plus its the oldest one I have :)