Can Direct Mail Grow a Lawn & Landscape Business?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Sean Adams, Feb 17, 2013.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

How large is your area is it a rural area or a metro area? AL works very well for metro area's not so much for rural, are you using the FREE AL listing or the paid listing? We also have used the tax assessors database for creating a mailing list, time consuming, but effective for targeting neighborhoods. Door hangers work as long as your using them in conjunction with door knocking.

2. cslawnandlandscape

cslawnandlandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

my areas are pretty much rural. I figured as much with AL but I'm on there anyway; and I only have the free listing.

3. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Try USPS.com

4. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to send my postcards off to the printer right now. I am going to send them out via USPS EDDM-retail. If you're not familiar with this service, you should look into it. You can pick which zip code, post office, and route # you want the postcards to go to. I am targeting a couple different routes in two zip codes that are the demographic I am looking for. All newer developments, lots over 1/4 acre, and within 5 miles of home. After its all said and done, I will have 2100 8x6.5 full color postcards sent out for roughly $500.

With the EDDM-retail, no permits are needed. You can mail upto 5000 pieces a day. You bundle them and put a cover sheet on the bundle to show which route it is for and drop it off at the post office of the route you want it sent to. They will then put your pieces in every persons mail box on that route. The cost for the mailing is around $0.17/each. You can send very large post cards out for this rate also, over a full page and the its the same price.

I know this has been discussed here, but its to be quickly forgotten. So again, here is the link... (click on the "retail" tab)

https://www.usps.com/business/every-door-direct-mail.htm

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

That was a great link. I am close to giving it a try this year.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice, Sean,
    especially this line.
    Helping Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Owners Pofit & Prosper Since 1999

7. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

TuffTurf, its almost as if you work for the USPS, being as this was your 13th post, and you joined last month. Anyways....can you select Single family homes only?

8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks, I appreciate that.

9. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Even though you tried to attack me in another thread, I will answer this in the hopes that someone else may see it and find it useful. ;)

You can't select demographics. Hence the name. Every Door Direct Mail. It is direct mailed to every door on the route that select. Lucky for me, the areas that I choose do not have ANY multip-famiily housing and in a very affluent area. Plus its in an area that is not overly saturated with LCO's.

For certain people this could be a VERY effective tool. For me, right now, it seems like the perfect fit. For others it could be huge waste of money. Thats how different areas are.

10. sharperimagelawns

sharperimagelawns LawnSite Member

Does anybody have any introductory letters they are willing to share?