1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Can employees listen to music with headphones while operating power equipment

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Seabreeze, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Seabreeze

Seabreeze LawnSite Member

Can employees listen to music with headphones while operating power equipment in Virginia ?

2. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo but I can't imagine not having my headphones. Legally I don't know.

3. Seabreeze

Seabreeze LawnSite Member

Yep im the same way ..music makes me more productive

4. Sagehen

Sagehen LawnSite Member

A few of my guys listen to their iPods and whatnot... I really don't have a problem with it as long as they still pay attention to detail.

Myself, on the other hand.... if I were to listen to music, my mind would wander and I'd probably end up running over the customer's cat. Not to mention the thought of the customer seeing me as I do my best Eddie Murphy 48 Hours rendition of Roxanne.

As to the legailty - no idea. Common sense says that the operator potentially wouldn't hear well enough to avoid a problem... but then ear plugs would do the same. I've always heard that it's illegal to wear headphones while driving a car...

5. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

It is illegal to wear headphones while driving but I'm pretty sure ipods, etc are A-okay.. its recommended to wear ear protection so whats the difference..

6. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

i've got those 3m worktunes or whatever they are called. I just plug my ipod into it and get going

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i would be lost with my ipod. my guys listen to their ipods etc..

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the AO's. Ear muff radio's.

9. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Our guys do.

10. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I suppose employees could, however I can not think of a single reason to allow anyone to be distracted while working for my company. Accidents happen and I suspect that if I was to file a claim due to one of my employees wearing a set of headphones listening to music or anything else my claim would be denied. I believe I would and could be held responsible from a personel and business standpoint as well. Never worth the risk and loss from a completely preventable situation from occurring.
    easy-lift guy