1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can get nut off spindle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puffyhead929, Jun 3, 2011.

1. puffyhead929

puffyhead929 LawnSite Member

Anyone have any idea how to get the nut off of the top of a pulley on an Exmark ultra cut spindle? When I block the blades the shaft in the spinde still turns.
  2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Look for a round key hole that you could fit a nail or screw driver into and lock it in place.

I'm guessing here.
  3. grincon

grincon LawnSite Member

Theres a bolt on the bottom.
  4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Barrow an impact wrench from someone. I had one I couldn't get off on a different brand of mower because of the same problem, but the impact had it off in about 3-5 seconds.
  5. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

This, or use 2 wrenches. 1 on the top nut, and 1 under the deck on the bottom of the spindle.
  6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

This will only work if one of them is left hand thread. Mine were both right handed, and that's what I was having trouble with. When I would try to take off the top nut like that, the bottom one (which had been off lots of times so that I could sharpen the blades) would back off/loosen, leaving the top one still stuck. The impact wrench didn't even require anything to hold the bottom nut. It just spun the top one off quick, fast, and in a hurry.:)
  7. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

The Exmarks have a large bolt going up through the spindle. On top of the deck is the nut he cant get off. My older scag WB was the same way as well.
  8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I had to use an angle grinder to get mine off when replacing a spindle.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

This is nuts. <Punt intended>

If it's a bolt and nut, use a wrench on the bolt side and a impact gun on the nut side. It's really that simple.
  10. A-1 LAWN

A-1 LAWN LawnSite Member
    from kansas

if it is a nut.buy a nut splitter. you can purchase them from harbor freight and they actually work.