Can grass clippings catch on fire?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oaktree59, Aug 16, 2007.

1. oaktree59

oaktree59 LawnSite Member

I put grass clippings on this guys land and he wants me to stop. He is afraid that the pile is going to catch on fire. Is that possible?

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i have dumped in the same spot for over 4 years and it has not cought on fire yet it is pretty hot in the center but there is also alot of moisture in there so i doubt it will spontaniously combust but if someone were to light it it might burn

3. eaglejrl

eaglejrl LawnSite Member
    from 75681

As a kid I used to haul square bails of hay. I was always told you never put wet hay in a barn because it could catch fire. As I understand, it takes the right conditions for spontaneous combustion to occur. It just so happens a school playground caught on fire last week from spontaneous combustion. Here is the link to the story.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ories/081407dnmetplaygroundfire.2f9b9ce8.html

4. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

I know for a fact that linseed soaked rags will catch fire if left out for about a week. So I must agree with Eagle it is possible for spontaneous combustion to occur with wet grass under the right conditions.

5. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

We have seen piles of grass smoking in the right conditions.

Here are some tips. We dump on a back lot of farm-land. About once a week, we fire up the Skid-Steer and spread the piles out. This allows them to dry cool. (Same as letting hay dry out before and after bailing).

Our practice is to spread out the piles so that when they decay, the combustible gases and heat can dissipate quickly.

6. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

This hay was put up in barn before it dryed out $20,000
    up in smoke.

P8070038.JPG

P8070046.jpg

7. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

Thats charlie my son that was kicked out of school go to off topics. he is a good kid..

8. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, we see what hay does

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Why is your son trying to conceal a cigarette lighter in his left hand?

10. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

no no i took it from him i was holding it.