Can hot tub water kill grass??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stumper1620, Sep 7, 2005.

1. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

one of my clients has a hot tub on his upper deck about 10 feet above,
    this is on the north (shaded side) of the house, tall fescue lawn, the grass grew in good, then died away in an area roughly 10 by 10, now its just plain soil again, can Bromine water condensated on the cover, that runs off when the tub is open kill the grass below? I'm doing a lot of work at this house and this is a real problem spot. any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    the grass all around this area is thick & healthy.
    it looks kinda like water flows over it and washes it away.

2. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

..the chlorine can and sometimes will kill grass. I know our grass types are different down here, but even when the pool guys drain some water out of the pools, they have to keep it off the grass. When they leave that stupid blue drain hose on the lawn.........the grass turns brown everywhere the water goes. :dizzy:

Dennis

3. stumper1620

thanks Dennis,
    This is not a mass quantity of water, it would just be from condensation and possible spill over from a full tub, he drains to a contained drain. Its really wierd the way its only under the tub & when grass does grow it won't thicken up. I'm thinking maybe aerating might help. I have the ok to sod it but I think sod will just die off.

4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen hot tubs emptied onto lawns on a weekly basis and never hurt the grass here. These are at vacation rentals and must be emptied after each rental and refilled.

5. stumper1620

Thanks ECS,
    I have a hot tub that i drain on my back yard, never hurts it either, but mine is blue grass & weeds, this is tall fescue in a shady area, I really don't know how fescue reacts to pool & tub chemicals, Its strange how it is just that area, the shade is just as dense everywhere else around it.
    I guess I better go pull a soil sample & see whats in it.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is possible but if the dead grass is in the spot below the deck, it would be a combination of possible lack of sunlight as well, I would think.

7. stumper1620

Ya, I've considered that and really hope not, but the whole area is shaded, since clearing a stream of sun light is not possible, I think we may end up putting this area to landscape stone, this would not look bad but would create a real pain for mowing, I would then have to go all the way around the property to get to the other half of the back yard. it is a strip area that is only about 15 feet wide befor a drop off to the river below.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When it is from the condensation, it is completely different than ALL the water being dumped out. The condensation will "cook" all the chlorine to the top and will concentrate. If you are able to transplant this, they will either have to rig up a runoff system. or apply water regularly to that area to keep it dilluted.

9. stumper1620

Thanks Joe,
    Condensed like that would create a strong enough concentration to kill off the turf in your opinion then. correct?
    What could I put down to nutralize the chlorine?

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

So let me get this straight. You said the grass will not grow "under" the tub that is ten feet high on the "north" side of the house. Does anyone else see something here?

It is not the water causing the problem but the shade. Grass does not grow too well in the dark.