1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can i aerate now. it's dry here

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grass disaster, Jul 20, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

minnesota here probably about 4" behind normal rainfall.... so it's very dry.

would now be a good time to aerate to try and get some moisture down to the root structure??

or is the turf too stressed out right now to be doing anything to it??
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Personally, we have never aerated in the summer. I have read on here where some people do, but at this point almost end of July, I would just wait till September rolls around. If they don't have irrigation, then how much rain would you actually be getting in the next month to even get to the root system?
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw a guy aerating in southern ontario today. Isnt it way to early?

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you'll bake the roots if you aerate now without significant rainfall. also the ground should be moist to help in pulling plugs.
  5. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

there are better times to do it.Spring and Fall are best but- We are in a drought here in Dallas, over a hundred every day and we are aerating as much as possible. Make sure the customer waters the night before you do it, so at least a 3 in. plug can be achieved and fertilize as soon as possible, and have the customer water in deeply, and no you will not "burn the root system"-- remember aeration is also to help the root system get AIR AS WELL AS WATER.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would never aerate in July. You are putting great stress on the plant and with no rain to repair and rejuvenate itself, what good are you doing?
  7. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

But I will go with my 21 years of experience, that's why I said it is "bermuda" grass, it is a very tough and fast spreading grass. Thanks, Chris-- TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE LICENSE # 0400163
  8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

What works in Texas won't necessarily work in Minnesota. Completey different plants. I don't think you'll do any harm by aerating in Minnesota in July, IF the lawn has irrigation. On the other hand, I don't think you'll do much good either. The plants are dormant or near dormant and are not actively working on root or leaf growth. Aeration is of most value when the plants are actively growing. Early Spring and/or late Fall aeration of warm season grasses isn't very effective, that's when the Bermdas and Zoysias are asleep. Late Spring, mid-summer (with water) and late summer are the times to aerate warm season grasses. Spring and Fall for cool season grasses.
  9. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

I am aerating full speed ahead. I need to to allow the water I have to penetrate the thatch and soil. I do not pull cores at this time as the cleanup (dragging and matting) is what wil do the serious damage to my turf. I also avoid mid day aeration anything between 9AM and 5PM is out of the question.