Can I be more efficient by getting rid of my mixing tanks?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Cheryl, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Loading the mixing tanks and mixing chemicals is a drag.

I am looking at installing a siphoning system on my spray truck. The one I am looking at installs at the end of the hose before the gun. I need to know how much pressure is at the end of the hose. I know my pressure at the pump is 200 psi. How much is at the end of 300' of 1/2" hose?

My cheap (non water filled) gage shows 200 psi at the end of the hose. When I drop the pressure at the pump to read 100 psi, my cheap gage shows 140 psi. Obviously the cheap gage has got to go. I'll get a water filled gage this week. In the mean time, does anybody care to speculate on how much pressure is dropped by 300' of 1/2" hose? Does anybody have a formula?

2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

does your system have an inline pressure regulator that you control the line pressure with or is it strictly only coming from the pump? Most systems will have a regulator that controls the pressure to the hose end and remaining pressure goes to the backflow, in other words its splitting the pump pressure being delivered. Is this for tree spraying, lawn spraying, or something else?

3. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

as for your thread question, I'm assuming your doing lawn applications. If so, there are alternatives to the tank-n-spray methods as well as advantages in not having down time mixing all the time. Letting us know more about what you're doing and we might be able to suggest some strategy.