Can I be sued??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, May 26, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

If I run my mower in the trailer, go and do the trimming, and some kid or adult touches the muffler on the mower as they're walking by and burns hand, can they sue? Am I liable?
    Hasn't happened. Just wondering.

2. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Like everything in this country, it depends on the money. Whoever can afford the best attorney wins. Russ

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

yes. anyone can be sued. Will they win? dont know, but thats what insurance is for, if you dont have it i would get it, its not very expensive.

4. dont mufflers on machines say HOT usually?

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Usually. But that is assuming someone can read. Even if they can they may claim they can't.

It's like the Greenday video :) Everything needs a warning because there are a lot of people with no common sense.

6. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

ah.....green day,2nd best band in the world,only zebrahead tops 'em.

7. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

We have been sued! There are some really ignorant people in this world but they all understand the word "MONEY". In a split second someone can turn your world into a instant nightmare. Even though the person that sued us was totally in the wrong I still had legal fees and countless hours with attorneys. We won and it still cost me over $1000.00.The only real winner was the lawyers. I have insurance so I did not lose too much sleep. My only advise is to cover your a**. If we had been in the wrong someone could have taken us for alot of money but thats why you have insurance.

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say you can be sued, but if someone ever touches my equepment and i see them i will call the police and have them arrested for attempt to steal my machines. think about it if someone touches what isn't theirs and they don't know you, what do you think they are doing.

9. casey

casey Guest

yea, but a little kid walking by on the street could reach over and touch the muffler on my Kawi.. It says hot but it's not real easy to see. I'm just wondering what the law would be on that. If I make the warning more visible would I be less likely liable.
    Some kids were playing street hockey (Canada) near my trailer, and one kid was pretty near the machine looking for the ball.
    Anyone use a mesh guard over the muffler?

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I occasionally catch some neighborhood kids climbing on my trailer. Seems as though a gate down just draws them to it. I will quickly run them off.