Can I Call Myself a Landscaper Now?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Darryl G, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Little temporary driveway repair I did today. The tree had uprooted during Hurricane Irene and ripped up the driveway. They plan to get it repaved at some point but just wanted it serviceable again. I went back and forth in my head on whether to bring my JD 855 T/L/B out but decided to just do it by hand. The material is 3/4 inch process traprock. This is the customer's summer cottage so I took pictures in progress and a final one to support my invoice. The pictures with the tamper in them indicate I had just compacted a level.

So am I a bonafide landscaper now? lol

PostAveDriveRepair 001.jpg

PostAveDriveRepair 002.jpg

PostAveDriveRepair 003.jpg

PostAveDriveRepair 004.jpg

PostAveDriveRepair 005.jpg

2. i believe you are now qualified, now you can tell others on here how wrong they are whatever they are doing. and fit right in.

3. Darryl G

LOL, actually I have quite a bit of experience spreading process stone but usually use the tractor. I like this stuff better than the granite material. I have a long crushed stone driveway myself, actually 2 of them, but someone else maintains my back one. I used to do crushed stone driveway repairs/resurfacing but got tired of people not liking whatever stone I put down (even if they went to the yard and picked it out theselves) and expecting me to fix potholes and washouts forever for free after I did the job...its like once you touch it you own it.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

No. You cannot call yourself a landscaper.

What you need to do, Darryl, is go home and sit in time-out until you realize what you've done. I'll let you know when you can come out and also when you can call yourself a landscaper.

Now go! :walking:

:laugh:

5. Darryl G

Sniff..........:cry:

Actually got a check and note from the customer. "Thank you. Looks great!"

I would like to check it some time and make sure it drains properly. I eyeballed it the best I could but it might need a little adjusting. This is the first time we've gotten a soaking rain since I did the "install" so maybe I'll check it tomorrow.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So where do they live in the winter? What would you guess the cost of that home is?

7. Darryl G

They live a little inland in CT. The town has it appraised at $438K. 1,355 sq foot on 0.15 acres built in 1900. The value is high because it's near the town beach.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Boy, and all along I was thinking that all you had to do is mow grass to call yourself a LANDSCAPER!!!

9. Darryl G

Well to be honest, I don't do a lot of "landscaping" and do very little hardscaping. Hardscaping is labor intensive I just don't have the labor to get it done in a timely manner, not to mention lacking in some of the skills required. But it does seem that everybody and their brother call themselves landscapers when all they do is cut grass and do dump runs.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Darryl,

I'm glad you "got" my jab.

It's a common occurrence around here.

Laid off workers with severance buy big buck equipment and are instant "LANDSCAPERS".

I've been doing this since the early 80's and can probably count on both hands projects I've done that could be considered "Landscaping". Being fair though, I don't mulch much more than my home. I concentrate on mowing and lawn treatments.

The hardscaping aspect does intrigue me. For about 3 years I was drafting up proposals for a good friend that was into hardscaping. Worked a few weeks for him during a long summer drought about 10 years ago as well. Landscaping is one thing....hardscaping is totally different. Still the equipment required to do either at a respectable level is a detriment to most.