can i collect unemployment

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobcatnj, Dec 8, 2008.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

as being the owner can i collect unemployment in nj?

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

That depends, do you draw a paycheck as an employee, do you pay into unemployment?
    Also depends on your state.
    I collect , PHilk says in PA one cannot.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Even if you can because you have paid unemployment insurance, would you really want to do the collection? Your insurance rate next time around may skyrocket because the account has been drawn upon. Some money over the few Winter months may easily be eaten away by increased insurance premiums over the working months.

4. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

yes i draw a paycheck. i dont know if i pay for unemployment insurance. i pay for liabilty and work comp for the whole year.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

You dont know if you pay into unemployment? who does your payroll, you , or a payroll service?

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

UGGHHHHHHHHHH.... I HATE UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!!

I pay well over $25,000 a year into the Unemployment fund, so lazy people can sit around and get paid for nothing..... There are jobs out there, go find one if you can't keep yourself busy.

Sorry for my rant, this issue drives me crazy.

7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said.... My past employee just went on UE from a different co. that he worked for this past summer. I just got a notice showing how much I paid to contribute to (his) this years' UE!!!!!! Therefore, what I pay for Unemployment Ins. may remain at a higher level until I have paid in enough to cover his @.. !!!:cry:

8. qualitylandscaping

Tell me about it. There are hundreds of jobs out there, alot are decent winter jobs too. But these people feel the system owes them money. You get layed off, GO FIND ANOTHER JOB!!! Don't sit around thinking you'll just take 6 months off and collect the free money.

Good old American government. Can't believe they don't see this as an opportunity to save some cash, and get rid of this unfair system.

EARN YOUR MONEY. GET OFFF YOUR LAZY ARSSSS AND DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE....:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

So what should all these thousands off layoffs do fight over the same job, not eat and lose their homes? Is it a workers fault they got laid off? You cant collect if you quit. in CT a business owner cannot collect UE.

10. qualitylandscaping

Have a looksy at Craigslist sometime. I just opened up the Rochester, NY general labor section and there are easily 100+ jobs posted in just the last 3-4 days. Not even counting the 20+ categories or listings older than 3-4days.

Start a business, go to college and get an education in a new field, DO SOMETHING! Sitting around collecting money you didn't earn, isn't doing any of us any favors.