can i convert my toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 10, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have a 21" toro (no, i'd never pay money for a toro, it was given to me for free from a customer). i thought about converting it to a side discharge , by simply cutting a square hole in the side of the deck, and then keeping the back discharge chute closed. will this work?

2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

If you know where to put the hole ,Yes. I'm not being a smarta$$ but the position would seem somewhat critical so it discharges correctly and doesn't clump. But then again the mower was free so make an educated guess and see what happens. Matt

3. LawnScapes of P-Town

LawnScapes of P-Town LawnSite Member

What is wrong with toro? I happen to like their commericial 21" mowers a lot.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

extremely poor dealer/manufacturer support. they hung me out to dry. anyhow, that's not the point, point is, can i convert it?

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Rear Discharge Plug Shown Above is Useless...Cutting a Hole in the Deck is Just Plain Stupid.....If you Want a 21" Discharge Unit Buy a Lawnboy...or a Honda.

honda1.JPG

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

why is it useless? will it work? i don't want to buy another 21", i have this one, because it was given to me, i don't care to use it as a mulcher or bagger, if i can't convert it, i'll throw it in the trash, or sell it

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Spend the $8 for the Discharge Plug...I Know that's an hr's Wage but Go Large & Find out the Hard Way from the School of Hard Knocks that it's Useless.

Cutting a Hole Would Work Fine but Don't Let the Safety Police See You w/that Unit.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

discharge plug? there is no discharge plug. the bag collects from a rear discharge opening, which becomes a mulcher if u remove the bag, and then the chute closes

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

But Honda and some others make a chute that plugs in where the bagger would making the mower into a side discharge. It will blow the stuff out to the left, And I agree would be a lot better than hacking a hole..
    Heck, you can probly even make a similar deal for chump change out of sheet metal.. Just some ideas.