Can I disc up my lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by americanlawn, Oct 5, 2006.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

My home lawn is two acres of turf. 635 feet deep x 135 feet wide.

The previous owner had sectioned it off for horses. We removed the fences and now keep it mowed with a John Deere 727-A zero turn mower.

Problem is::::the lawn is very uneven and bumpy. Some ruts are ten inches deep. It's a nightmare to mow.

Can I use a "farm disc" to disc it up (to even it out) and not kill my existing Kentucky bluegrass lawn???

I thought about bringing topsoil, but it would take many semi loads.

Also, when is the best time to have a neighborhood farmer to come in and disc it up - yet have the best chance of my bluegrass surviving???:usflag:

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Discing it with out damage would be impossible. Your going to have to disc it then re-seed it will probably be your best bet.

3. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

I think discing would still leave you with sizeable ruts. Now what you need is a "box blade" and many tractor owners have them. They will go over it once or twice with the tines down and one or twice with the tines up and you'll end up with land as smooth as a baby's bottom. No way to handle this without having to re-seed.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Thanks guys for your help.:usflag:

5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Rent a Bobcat and a Harley rake. Use the heck outa it and re-seed. IMO a Box blade would be alright for small areas.

If its really bad then disc it up THEN take the harley rake to it. Ya will get rid of all the rocks ect and will have a real nice area to work with.

6. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Just a thought, a really heavy lawn roller and some aeration might smooth it out for you without completely destroying everything.

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

a really heavy roller would do more damage than good right? and the only way to get a roller heavy enough for 10" ruts would be a construction roller. but maybe filling in the ruts halfway, then rolling.

8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

You can use a scrape, rip it up ten times and then smooth it and you will still endup with a lawn as hard as a rock. The more you run over it with the tractor and scrape, the harder you are going to compact the soil. If you have access to a disc, use it, the faster you pull it the better it will cut and the smoother the lawn will be. I would soil test the area first, apply all suggested amendments and then disc it until smooth and fluffy, then broadcast seed, this time of year you dont really need straw unless the area is subject to erosion.

9. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

at 10 inches I dont know if rolling it will get it all out. if you rolled and aerated it then waited a month and repeated it will eventually even out. adding soil to the worst areas may speed things up a bit. a single pass of the roller usually will knock out a 4 inch rut.

10. deere-man

deere-man LawnSite Member

1. soil test/get ph where you need it. 2. fill in the ruts . 3. disc it up really good. 4. sew your b-grass.w/o straw if area is level . 5. roll it next spring once grass is established. good luck!