Can I do this???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CURB APPEAL NC, Jun 3, 2005.

1. CURB APPEAL NC

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Most of my customers have weed probs and they look to me for advice or service. I do not have any license or college degree but if the cust. buys the materials on their own knowledge or whoever sales it to them's knowledge and I just spread it for them for no charge Would this be a problem with any laws or organizations. Im just talking basic (weed and feed).

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

You are still applicating product for a paying customer. Regardless of whether you are line item billing for it or not, you are still exchanging services for money with this client and therefore you are being paid to do it, whether through money or good will with your customer. How will your State Ag dept. interpret your scheme as it relates to their enforcement priorities? Why don't you ask them before someone else does regarding your work.
    http://www.ncagr.com/pesticid/license.htm#COMMERCIAL AND PRIVATE CERTIFICATION & LICENSING

3. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well......not legally........

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

YES, it would be against NC Law and would also subject you to a Class II Criminal Misdemeanor and a Fine of $2,000.00 for EACH time/person you do it for. In addition each County in NC has Inspectors with the NC Dept of Ag (for example there are 3 in the Greensboro Office) that their only job is checking on stuff like this.

You MUST have a NC Pesticide Applicators License to apply ANY chemical to another persons lawn even if as you said they buy it and you are doing that part of your lawn service for free.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is no loophole, there. They already have that one sewn up.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I never use customer-provided materials or tools, you never know what you're getting yourself into there.

7. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Not to mention that you are supposed to be a professional, which means you do quality work for good pay. If you want to work for free, come on up to Ohio. You can treat my lawns while I hang out at the pool and collect the money.

8. CURB APPEAL NC

Well, it would actually help me if could get rid of some of the dandelions. people around here only believe in every two week mowings and buy the time i get back to them the grass is about right but the 18" dandelions just lay down for my 36" deck and I have to end up trimming them down anyways with my trimmer. this is the only reason I would consider doing it or free. Anybody have any suggestions. I guess if the cust. is not willing to spend money on the proper treatment then I will have to raise prices for the extra work! I feel like I dont cut grass for a living, I cut WEEDS. I will probably look into geting a license in the future but, it scares me that if I dont lay down exactly the right stuff and kills the grass I will be talking with a lawyer. Another reason Im not quick to jump on this is that people here are cheap cheap cheap and wont want to pay what it would take to do it right.

9. CURB APPEAL NC

Any suggestions on contracting out fert. service? Best way to find a good reliable establishment. I know Chemlawn is not liked too much on here but, one of there reps approached me the other day saying he would get me some accounts if I help him get some. Are they really that bad?

10. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Your best bet is to contact and make relationships with smaller companies that are licensed. We are in our second year and do a lot of sub work. Not that I hope it is for ever, right now sub work is the back bone of our business. With a smaller company you get someone who is still hungry for work/customers and will take the time to keep you and your customers happy. There are downsides as with anything. Make sure to protect yourself and have a contract *make sure you put a no compete in that contract* so that every thing is clear to all parties. The benefits to be gained profit and knowledge *if you find a good one* will be worth it.

TGCL won't give you any of that *I can't even believe you were told that they would help you get some accounts* TGCL doesn't care if they make people un-happy and lose a customer *they do with a frequency*. TGCL will not treat your customers the way you treat them and expect them to be treated.