1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can i do this...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Nov 19, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

A while ago i was told to fill up my fuel tank with gas and gas stabilizer on my exmark, would it be bad if i just emptied the whole tank and fuel system out? Would this cause any harm to the machine, if so why would it be bad?? Thanks
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Carburator gaskets may dry out? Aside from that, nothing can be "bad" by draining the fuel system, keep in mind fuel stabilizer will only keep fuel good for 3 months. You dont need to fill the tanks to the brim either, 1/4 in each is good enough, just be sure you have stabilized fuel in the carb and fuel lines.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

All my other stuff ive always just emptied it. Then filled it up and started it in spring. And have never had a problem, just don't want to screw up now with the exmark!
  4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Fill the tank, and add stabilizer. Close fuel valve and run carb. dry. That's it!
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You said it!!! We have ours about 1/4 to 1/2 full and add the stabilizer:waving:

Don't drain them all out because of the gaskets
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, it is best to run some of this fuel through with the stabilizer in it through, first. This way, the carb components and lines all get suturated with the stabilizer treatment. Sta-bil, for instance, does more than just stabilize the existing fuel.
  7. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

my exmark dealer told me to run it dry dont mess with the stabilizer.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I drain the fuel via syphon into cans and run it in blowers and things and do my utmost to use every last bit of it by mid-january, which is when things stop for me. I usually have a few (2 maybe 3) gallons of fuel left by then, I've never had it go stale in the 2 months that I zzzzzzz before things start up again. You can tell by the smell of it when it goes stale, of course cheap fuel smells bad to begin with but the staler it gets, the more 'petrol' like the odor turns, it just smells bad when it does it but it can take a year or two before clean, high octane fuel gets that way.
    I don't believe in additives, but before I run anything in spring, I always fill it up with nothing less than Amoco / BP 93 Premium, which is what I run anyhow.
  9. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I run Sta-Bil in my lawn equipment and boats all the time. We never know when our seasons will end. Our lake level can change 10 feet in a week. I have been boating in December, I've also had to quit in August because the water was too low. Likewise with the mower. Our largest rain last year was in November--5 inches. As of today, we've had less than 1/10th inch since August.

By the way, there is no need to run 93 octane in an engine that doesn't require it. Higher octane doesn't give any more power, it only reduces the possiblity of detonation. With a low compression mower, it's not a factor.