Can I dock pay of employees for the loss of an account

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. C, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

Can I dock pay of employees for the loss of an account resulting from poor work or something they did to legitimately p*ss the client off. I Know there a smilar post a few days back but did not really find anything conclusive. I am implementing an incentive program and a few have said it's not going to work without disciplinary for the negative things as well.

2. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

For me it would depend on the size and importance of the account. If it's a big account I would likely send him on his way. You don't need that type of representation going on. Let the customer know changes have been made and try to recover the account.

If it was a small account, say in the $25-35 range I would probably present him with a final written warning stating that any future violations of company policy (of any kind) will result in additional disciplinary action up to and including termination.

3. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

No, that would be quite illegal. Frustrating when you lose an account to employee negligence isn't it? I would suggest finding out what went wrong and implementing a system to be sure it does not happen again. If it does, terminate the employee/employees.
    The disciplinary for negative things would be taking away from their incentive. Such as giving them an automatic end of the year bonus, but withdrawing money from it when such things occur.

4. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

I'm thinking of docking them like $25.00

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont think you can. I think you would have to make a note of it and put it in his file and that would give you grounds to pass him over for a promotion or raise, and maybe even termination if / when it is deemed necessary. Be sure to keep everything documented and in a file so that you have a leg to stand on if needed in court or if it is needed in future displanary actions.

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You can not dock someone's pay for any reason. You can terminate them, if they steal something you can threaten to press charges unless you are reimbursed for the item stolen. If they lose something you are just out, other than termination. If you are turned in for messing with an employees pay and the government can prove that you knowingly did it you are subject to triple damages.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

On the other hand he's incompetent so you might consider lowering his pay scale. He might quit but anyway you look at it if he cost you an account he’s lacking in some area so why should you need to pay him the same as someone who was not lacking. I have cut pay before and with good cause he lied about having a driver’s license and then had an accident and it turned out he has no license nor will he for another 4 years. Now why would I pay this guy the same rate when he cannot drive a truck for me any more? After that he was just a glorified lawn mower boy. And for me that’s a 12-13 an hour position not a 15 an hour position.

He cried to the labor board I won.

8. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

O.K. so you are telling me I don't very much recourse other than to hurt myself by firing that crew. Now I have to go out and fill that position A.S.A.P. What happens to my schedule in the mean time? So when my 2 man service team goes to the property, do the service, finish and leave the gate open, Ms. Brown's dog gets out and she fires me, I just have to bite the bullet and hope and pray that I can find someone to replace them with.

9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, sounds about right. Ahhhhhhhhh, I love not having any dumb arse employees around to f up my groove! :cool2:

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm assuming this is just a scenario that you have made up. The fact that the customer has left their animal in the yard in harms way of the service crew, would make them (homeowner) responsible for the animal and therefore it fleeing the home.

My question is, what did the crew do that would warrant a client to fire you? There were no signs leading up to this situation? The customer never made you aware of any past problems with the crew? All of a sudden the crew did something to get your company fired? If a customer does not give you an opportunity to correct any mishaps, it most likely is a customer that would be better off gone anyways.

What exactly happened or are you just asking "what if" for future planning?