Can I fit a 48" mower through 48" opening?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 9, 2008.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I am in need of a walk behind mower for a few slopes and a couple of other gated areas. The gate openings are 48 inches post to post.. so I have been trying to find a Toro 44 inch mower but they are scarce and not in production any longer. I have also been looking at the Toro 40 inch. I'd like the largest mower I can for the dollar and I think it will hold the slopes better.

I know a 48" mower deck is a little larger than 48 and am sitting here wondering if I'd be able to manipulate through the gate somehow. Like pulling parallel to the fence/gate and getting any overhang from the deck into the opening... then pivot the rest of the mower through... I'm wondering if a front caster/wheel will not allow it to swing through.

Does anyone know if this will work?
  2. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

nah the opening has to be a few inches larger than the mower.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had a 48" WB and a 46" gate. I tried like crazy, but there was no way it was going through that gate. I doubt you could tilt your mower enough to squeeze it through.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

no,get a push..........
  5. Trukfr8

Trukfr8 LawnSite Member

Do you know anyone with a 48" Toro that you could borrow to try to see if it will fit? I used to fit my 48" through a tight opening by entering the opening at an angle with the side where the deck sticks out the most(left side?), then sort of turn the mower into the gate. It used to work for me.
  6. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

I have a wright sentar 61" have some gates that i cannot go straight Thur but can maneuver Thur the same way that you described. pull or back up parallel to gate with chute facing gate turn into opening chute first when chute clears post you can squeeze Thur most of the time. This process does not work all of the time, you just need to be careful not to damage fence or mower.
  7. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Yes you can, try This for getting your WB in the gate
    Back your WB up to the gate position the left or right tire (the tire away for the gate swing) inside the post. Now push your handles down to the ground and pivot the deck inside by pulling to the left or right.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

That's the process I was referring to... I wasn't sure if a front wheel would want to hit on the pivot.

Maybe I can get a demo..
  9. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

No, Nah , unt uh , no way Jose!
  10. Lawn-Scapes

anyone else have experience with this scenario? can or can't?