Can I fit a 52" inch walk-behind in a 40" gate???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DillonsLawnCare, Apr 2, 2008.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

people say that they can maneuver their 48"-52" walk-behind into small gates. is this true? :confused:if so please tell me how to do it, cause i picked up a new yard today that has a gate and i don't want to have to use a 21":cry:. i have a 21" but its crappy and i never ever use it:nono:. thanks in advance!:usflag:

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Not possible.

try and talk them into getting a bigger gate. I have done that with a few of my customers. Even given them a lower rate so I dont have to pull the 36 off the trailer.

3. DillonsLawnCare

well they have this funky gate that doesn't cover their whole backyard, just kind of around the patio out back for like little kids or dogs. and its wooden. also they're renting the house so i dont think they would go for the gate change. thanks anyway.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

start pushing....

5. DillonsLawnCare

thanks PLC-GregH

6. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

I used to do a place that had a gigantic back yard and the only mower that I could get back there was a 21. I ended up dumping the contract.

On the other hand, I had another place that I priced thinking I could only get a small mower in the back. Halfway through the season I finally realized that with two people working on it we could squeeze the 36-inch walk behind through the opening. Looks can be deceiving, and I never thought to measure it.

It's quite funny to see a whole crew gathered around a tiny gate trying to figure out how to get a bigger mower through. If you look at it long enough you start to imagine all kinds of different ways to get that big mower back there.

But in reality, it hardly ever works out.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I wasn't trying to sound mean or anything. My point was, that if you spend to much time trying to get it through the gate, you probably could have had it finished already. Unless it's a huge area thats fenced in, you might as well push it.

8. DillonsLawnCare

oh, i wasnt taking that offensively. i was thinking the same thing when i rang the doorbell. i understand where you're coming from. ill just have to push. i just lost a lawn for $45 so this one will make up for it!!!!!!

9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Now, does that make ANY sense to you?
    :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:
    and it brings up childhood memories...
    ONLY if you tilt it..... steep. If you're a solo op. then forget it.

squareblock.jpg

10. DillonsLawnCare

people have done it where they turn the mower to where the trim side is on the ther end of the fence and maneuver it in there. but i guess ill be pushin'.