can i fit a 52 wb in a pickup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yorkpaddy, Jan 6, 2002.

1. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of buying either a 52 or 48 hydro walkbehind soon, and I want to get suggestions on whether or not i could fit the 52 into my pickup truck, i'm not yet ready to buy a trailer.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

york--a 48 or a 52 are just about 48 or 52 inches wide.

go out and measure your truck and you'll know how close you'll be.

you'll probably want to pull those discharge chutes, however.

3. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Dodge Ram I used to have would sqeak a 4x8 sheet of plywood in on top of the wheel wells. Doubt you can clear the wheel wells with a 48 or bigger

Here we go Steelers, Here we go....
  4. yorkpaddy

i know it won't fit between the wheel wells, i was wondering if i could back it up, and keep the deck over the tailgate.
  5. Stinky

Stinky LawnSite Member

Sounds awful dangerous to me!!
  6. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Find a cheap trailer
  7. You could steel a little of Mr. Lawrance "X" Stones idea.

Also check out "Stone a green super lawn truck 2002"

It can be backed in as there will be plenty of clearance. Make sure you sacure it well.
  8. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

My 48" Honda will fit in a Chevy pickup with a bedliner,it is tight though,no slopping around .Total width is 49"I don't know if I would want to back it up on a truck with ramps buy a trailer instead.I only loaded mine once in the truck and that was to bring it home ,it has been trailered every since.
  9. These machines are quite big for a suburb of Wash DC.

Are not there many 36" gates to pass through?

If I were operating in your area I would be using my 32" or a 44" wide machine out of a p/u with a handy ramp.

My 52" and 62" machines are on a trailer. Makes it easy to take the big "guns" out for a stroll when needed. This way you can drop the trailer off at a large site with a laborer as you do the smaller prosperities solo in that area.
  10. yorkpaddy

I already mow a 4 acre lawn with my 36, its a struggle takes about 4 hours, I want the hydro because that lawn is on a hill, not steep, but the transmission belt is always slipping (probably needs replacing), right now i mow that lawn once every 2nd or third week for 200, but its being sold, and if i can retain it, then I will be mowing all 7 acres every week for probably $300-350(currently those back areas are just fields). I also might pick up a nursing home. I'm also in college, i don't do this full time, i'm not sure how that factors into it. But i put about 150 hours a year on the 36, i'd like to get that up to 200-300, but anything above that would cut into other activities.