1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can I get a professional's 2 cents

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rigger, May 31, 2005.

1. rigger

rigger LawnSite Member

I am going to redo my lawn and am looking at either seeding (possibly hydroseed) or sodding it. We only plan on living in this house for one more year so we are looking for the cheapest, yet most effective way to make the house sellable. I am currently thinking about sodding the front because of the slope and hydroseeding the back because it is flat(see pictures below). What route would you take? Thanks.

Landscaping 067.jpg

Landscaping 071.jpg

Landscaping 069.jpg
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Sodding will be expensive. I would consider renting a slit seeder and seeding the back now, and again this fall.
  3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

If you called us for that service we would suggest seed the bad parts and slit seed the rest or if NEED be HYDRO the whole thing.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You would loose any profit you might have on the house just on the front yard alone to properly prepare the soil and sod it.I would forget the back tell Fall and slitseed the front.
  5. jdilley1

jdilley1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Maybe a dumb question, but what is slitseeding?
  6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a machine that cuts slices into the soil and drops seed into them. Some have a mat or chain that drags behind the unit to cover the slits. It puts the grass seed about 1/4 under the dirt to help it germinate. It's also good on hills. You can rent the machine for a few hours and do it. You will still need to water you lawn as you would any other method of seeding. Oh don't forget the starter fert and lime.