Can I get an opinion?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Bgreen, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Bgreen

Bgreen LawnSite Member

Well....... wondering what anyone thinks of the latest landscape/ waterfall? I have never asked for an opinion before, but I believe it to be worth the risk. It runs @ 9,000gph.
    I absolutely enjoy building them and would like to know where I might improve.
    We did the complete landscape job (new build) we did clear up the algae problem.

Thanks for the honest help

McKay3(450 x 338).jpg

McKay_0431(450 x 338).jpg

IMG_0433 (450 x 338).jpg

IMG_0435 (450 x 338).jpg

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Through my eyes, the pond area is too small for the size of the rock formation that creats the falls.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

what's i made out of? i dig it

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I like it. EXCEPT the front rock edging.... It needs to be more irregular- not so lined up. It doesn't fit with the natural look the rest of the feature gives off.

5. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Your weir rocks are cantilevered out too far for a really natural appearance., although I see why you layed it out that way. Now the layout of the rest of the rock in the fall has a very nice organic configuration - very good work by a landscaper!

p.s. I am fighting a cold and blurry vision. A larger image would help.

6. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

IT looks good, I do agree with the size rock vs. the size pond. Huge rock, small body of water.
    Can you add any small plants to the water fall? either pond plants or regular landscape plants? That will help soften the rock look.

How long has it bee running?

7. Malrex

Malrex LawnSite Member

I agree...rocks are too big for pond size. I think the rocks along the grass are too small and/or too regular. A suggestion, would of been to add a larger rock (they can still be low so not to cover the view) and make it a "sitting rock" and re-direct some of the rocks along the grass (they all seem to be the same size and facing the same way). I can't see all the details, but I think I would of threw some cobble into the mix. Maybe even take out a few of the big rocks and make cobble/gravel pockets to break it up in the waterfall. Adding a few plant pockets on the outside edges of the waterfall would be cool as well as some pond plants.

Overall though, it looks pretty good. I liked how you added some rocks into the landscaping to help blend it all in. I like the rock poking out from the pond area. Job well done.

Edit:
    I really like how you built the top portion of the waterfall....it looks like there is an actual stream up there that is feeding the waterfall (i.e. waterfall is not coming out of nowhere). I like that grass you planted up there in the creek...I would do a few more. Nice light setup--got any night pics?

8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If you vegetated it well, the ratio of waterfall size to pond size would fade into inconsequentiallity.

For example, if you could border the bottom with azaleas, plant a vine maple sideways across the top falls, and cascade foliage, the rock wouldn't be so critical.

When a waterfeature is planted well, the rock placement is no longer the most important factor, but just one of the factors.

Personally, I don't like most feature pushing over 4000 gph. Anything bigger is a waste of energy that could circumvented by design.

9. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

This would be a terrific experiment to balance the pool size vs the falls. Try replacing the small squarish rock at the front edge of the pool with more of the boulders you used in the falls. Even though the pool is small, it should balance out the look. I bet people would not feel the pool is too small then. It will make the entire project look more believeable. Also add more accent rock to the exterior to sell the concept of the falls.

We are developing a proposal for a development in your area. I'd enjoy stopping by and looking at your falls in person this summer.