1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Can I Get Some Good Opinions From The Pros

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Jan 3, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to buy a good edger but dont want to spend 2k or more for a brown bed edger or even the 600 for the little wonder edger,lowes has a 4 wheel 4 cylinder edger for 235$ has anyone tried that? can you give me some part #s of some edgers i should be looking at. would this one work?

heres a pic and specs....... (4.2)

Heavy duty 9" triple-edge steel tempered blade
    6-position cutting depth (max depth 2-1/4")
    5-position curb wheel makes adjusting to the job eas
    3-position adjustable bevel cutting system
    2-year limited warranty
    Extended Protection Plans are available for an additional charge
    HP: 4
    Engine Type: Briggs & Stratton
    Blade Size: 9"
    Tilling Depth-in: 2-1/4"

043033533275.jpg

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Depends on how much you plan on using it. Do you need a walk behind edger? Or will a stick edger be enough? What are you planning on using this edger for?

3. bigw

THATS WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO BE TELLING ME...IM THE BEGINER,IM ASKING FOR ADVICE AND OPINIONS. THANKS!!:weightlifter: I WILL BE USING IT FOR WALKS,DRIVEWAYS, AND MAKING OLD BEDS LOOK GOOD AND MAKING NEW FLOWER BEDS PERIOD.

4. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Don't buy that Lowe's crap.

If you need an edger to make or redefine beds, rent one. It takes a lot of beds to justify buying a dedicated bed edger.

If you need to do curbs and driveways buy a stick edger.

5. bigw

any particular brand and do you have a part # or model #

6. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

7. bigw

will that cut deep enough for making a fresh flower bed edge? how deep should a flower bed edge actually be?

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have never used an edger for making flower beds,,,,,

But it sounds like a stick edger will suit your needs jsut fine

9. scalpit77

scalpit77 LawnSite Member

Stick edger, all the way. I like Stihl also. If I were you I'd try the straight shaft and curved shaft and see which one you like. I prefer curved shaft.

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

We don't do much lawn edging around here. The driveways are asphalt, and walkways are often stone or asphalt. There are almost no sidewalks in my town. No one does it.

I use a stick edger to cut the front of a flower bed edge. Then I use a spade to dig out the back side, cutting a V-shaped edge. It isn't really much easier than using a hand edger, but it makes smoother curves, and it is a little quicker. It doesn't work for me when cleaning up old beds. I use a hand edger for that. I use this with the edger attachment. http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/KM110R.html

I make them about 4" deep...the depth of the hand edger blade.

I have never used a real bed edger, but I don't think you can compare a stick edger to a real bed edger, which (I think) makes the complete v-shaped groove in one pass, flinging the dirt back into the bed. When a get a job with 2,000 feet of garden bed to cut, I'll buy one. Unlikely.