1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can I get started with $30,000

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dschmaus, Oct 17, 2006.

1. dschmaus

dschmaus LawnSite Member

A little background. I'm 36 and work a "full time job" I'm in sales and work about 25 hours a week. I make enough to sustain my family..

6 years ago for two years I ran my own rig.. About 30 yards, mulch and snow removal... I enjoyed it..

I want to startup again (taking advantage of my loose work schedule) Not planning on quiting..

Have $30,000 and need equiptment.. I have a toro groundsmaster 72 (that I mow my 5 acres with..

I need a recomendation on a truck. Will want the capability for snow removal. I'm thinking around $15-17k. Really am leaning towards an enclosed trailer $3500-4000. Mower 36"-50" deck.. $5000 Blower, edger, trimmers. $1000 Misc tools $1000

Want to buy equiptment with the thought of growing to business to more than a one man operation..

Thanks for the help...
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i started with a push mower, a weedeater, blower,and a run down truck,, now i own about $20,000 worth of equipment. start small and build is my suggestion
  3. dschmaus

dschmaus LawnSite Member

Actually that was my list of starting small..

The only thing this isnt "required" would be the enclosed trailer.. Put if done right, looks very professional..
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

30 G's is plenty of money. My advise would to save some of the cash and finance the truck and mower. You can put a good size down payment on both of them and still have cash for the unexpected things that we all forget about when starting up. I financed my truck and pay like $260 a month for a 4 year old F 250. buy the smaller stuff and finance the big ticket items. After you get off your feet and feel you have enough cash coming in then you can always put more into the payment and pay it off early. I feel its better to have the cash on hand so you can pay for the first 5 weeks of gas while you wait to get paid. It's not instant money, your going to have to wait a few weeks before getting your first few checks.
  5. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I got my start in 2004 for less than 20,000.00 and we have grown since, it has been the best thing that I have done in my opinion, yes it has been tough at times but I manage to pay the bills.We now have multiple trucks, lots of equipment and even a skid steer, and it just gets better every day. ----------------------------------------Good Luck--------------------
  6. Jake Wolf

Jake Wolf LawnSite Member
    from NYC, NY

Before you go out and start spending cash on everything look into financing your big purchase such as trucks, trailers, and mowers. All those lawn cuttings will go towards paying off the loans/leases while you put your cash to work advertising, hiring great people, and not taking on crappy jobs just because you really need the money that do to pay your workers.

I offer my clients the option to prepay the year for a 10% discount. I find that about 15% take me up of the offer. It really helps get the money in the bank early on.

I have alot of tips for how to get more customers without investing in expensive mailings and Yellow Page ads at http://landscapestartup.com/2006/10/17/free-effective-advertising/.

Jake Wolf
  7. dschmaus

dschmaus LawnSite Member

Any advise on the truck?

Also I failed to mention I live in the county on 6 acres with a nice barn and plenty of room for storage... Should I (eventually) take advantage of this.. Bulk mulch??
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would look into an F250 or 350. Either the V-10 or a diesel. Either that or a GMC 2500hd. What kind of plow are you looking to get?
  9. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Some advise on your truck - get at least a 3/4 ton. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, whatever - that depends on your personal preferences and what kind of deal you can get. Personally I like GMC and Chevy. Diesels are good trucks with plenty of power but you need to take into consideration that the extra cost of them does not end when you buy it, becuase repairs and parts are often more expensive also. Maybe a dump truck would suit you well if you get into mulch, which i think would be a good idea since you have the land. Your land also gives you a place to dump leaves, clippings, brush.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're going to push snow, get atleast a 3/4 ton. They are generally equipped for work like this. The bigger brakes, the heavier axles, etc.. If you have this much to work ewith, you're in great shape. Some of your numbers are just a l i t t l e bit off, though. The blwer, trimmer, edger, for $1000....Look at around 500 apiece for these (for decent quality) - No biggy, though. For the amount of time these are going to last you, and the amount of return you will get, it all works out, anyway. If you are thinking of having this equipment used regularly, you will certainly want the quality stuff. we have a member on here who has NICE trailer for sale in about your price range, with room for growth for you.