can i go on my own in a saturated markert??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Jun 19, 2005.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

after bout 12 yrs in the industry and working for someone else iv been starting to get the courage to go on my own and the only thing that sorta hesitates me is that when ever im driving around it appears to be that everyone is trying to start a LC or make a buck on the side cutttin grass. I see 1-2 man crews running everything from Sears/Craftsmens, Yardmans to old beat up WBs, ZTRs ect. Plus all the bigger companies aswell. IM just wondering if there is enought for me out there. I dont really want to go head to head with the big guys I want to stay small and solo mainly doing small comercial and residential stuff perhaps even lake homes. The goal is not only to make payup but to have more control over my own schedual and life.
    When you see so many people trying to cut is this a good sign or not??? ;)

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Every market is probably saturated. The key is find your niche in a market you like.

3. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

Do a good, professional job, charge accordingly, and the work will find you. The "in it for a few extra bucks mower jockeys" will only last a short time and most "real" clients recognize them for what they are and are willing to pay the few extras $ for a good, reliable job. Just my two-cents. Tony

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sure you can fit in. Just because you see all these other LCO's around doesn't mean they will last. A lot of them go belly up within a year or two because they had no business plan to begin with.
    Sit down and write down your goals, figure out how much money you will need to make to have a comfortable living.... then get out there and start marketing yourself. Do good work and be dependable and the business will come.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

You can help yourself to a decent starting market if there are any new developments going up near your home. Probably the most important thing is to have a well-developed business plan. In that plan, you describe the types of customers you'll go after, how you'll advertise to them, what sort of equipment you'll need for this market and so on.

If you spend the next six months planning carefully and executing the plan come springtime, you'll do well. Just don't go into it without a clear plan of action or you'll most likely have too many headaches to justify all the effort and expense.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Do QUALITY job and take pain making sure everything look good and neat...you will survive and thrive...I like to go into subdivision and compete with 6-8 different LCO, all type...big fast and furious Z, beatup belt WB, or Craftman loaded street, you name it...and see who holds on to his accounts after several months or year...real world real bullet.

7. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

All replies to this thread are good advice but 1Major Tom and Tony 1045 really hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would like to add is: Once you plan out what you need to make and what services you will provide, write down your plan, refer to it once a month to stay on track, take any work that comes your way, get up early and work like hell all day. If you do this you will do very well. Also do good work of course.

I left my job in April and have doubled my business in 60 days with no sign of stopping. I was worried too.

Plan a little, work a lot, and don't think too much.

Best of luck!

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Newbomb,Good to hear things are going well for you this year . I havent seen you at 7-11 and was just wondering. A good shot of rain is what we need this week

9. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Just charge enough. I've yet to see a company go belly up because they charge too much!

10. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff I'm through there pretty regularly just the timing is different. Finally bought a used turf tiger from my old boss. It will need spindle bearings this winter but otherwise runs great. I hope to go after some larger properties in the next 12 months, maybe a commercial or 2.