1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can i have a card

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Big Bad Bob, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

all year long i have been stopped in parking lots, driveways and gas stations by people who ask for a business card because they need our kind of service. i usually ask if they have any questions about our service and answer all questions in what i feel is a professional manner. i have given out probably 50 cards in this way and to date i have never gotten a single call from any of these people.
    what can i do to remedy this situation? is this the norm or am i leaving something out of the equation?
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

My theory is to give a business card to anyone who will take one. From the sounds of it, I wouldn't say your doing anything wrong, keep passing them out, its not like their that expensive.
  3. livingreen1

livingreen1 LawnSite Member

I would suggest maybe full color cards. I have these and always pwople are commenting on them. List as much info on them as well. Also people asking for them try to get info from them so you can follow up on the next rainy day.
  4. Big Bad Bob

from zone 5

these are professional made, black on white, very clean looking, with info on some services offered such as mowing, landscape install and maintenance, bushes trimmed. plantings, tilling and such.
    you think full color would make them more memorable? hmmmm.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I think it will be more outstanding if they were in color.
  6. djsp24

djsp24 LawnSite Member

the age old business theory is 1 sale per 100 cards, so your halfway there if you go with that old saying. Marketing researchers show that 1 paying lead is qualified for every 100 cards you disburse. Not sure how true this is but it's good to keep in the back of your mind. Also, Why only give them one? I always try and give 2 or 3 at a time to a person and have generated quit a few leads this way. Just my opinion, hope it helps.
  7. Big Bad Bob

from zone 5

the weird thing is that these people approach me. i get better results from the ones i hand out that i solicited.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You never know when these people may call you. Might be tomorrow or 2 years down the road. Many people hang on to business cards for years. I say keep handing them out, cards are cheap.
  9. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

cheap and great looking...my buddy designed mine, front and back, full color, and glossy coating...check it out...

another thing...when these people solicit you, set up an appointment right then.

I've just started out this fall. I've given out almost 20 bids so far. Only two haven't taken. I do most business through email (customer convience). On bids I make sure to tell the customer that they do not need to be present. I then email the bid and let them know when I can schedule them. So far this has worked great. I'm assuming that it is because the customer doesn't have to do anything but answer a couple emails at their leisure and write a check.

Just get their address and phone number and tell them you WILL give them an estimate. That's all they want, a friggin figure.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I just stopped handing out cards.

If someone wants some work done, I say give me your phone number and a time that I can stop by and give you and estimate.

I tell them, sorry, I don't hand out cards because ........ whatever reason I feel like that day.