Can I hear from people who like Gear driven wb's?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Vikings, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I got a feeling thats all I'll be able to afford. I looked at a 48" exmark for $4000, belt driven or whatever. A hydro would cost about twice as much around here.

I really don't want to hear about how much better someone thinks about hydro because I've heard that (and believe it) so often.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If all you can afford is a belt drive, I wouldn't buy anything but a Toro T-bar with a TurboForce Deck, just my opinion.

Or you can search for something used with low hours. Deep discounts can be had on used stuff.

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have a 36'' Metro HP belt driven. I have had zero problems with it. I don't mow in the rain, so belt slippage never happens. Just replace the belts once every 2 years or so.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

48" metro w/ ECS for me...LOVE the thing, no problems at all, doesn't slip at all even in rain!! While pulling velkeX2

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Unfortunetly, I don't have a lot of options here in Winnipeg and this is actually the first exmark I ever seen i think. It had the ECS, I asked him about belts slipping and he said something about them having a double V (i don't know).

Basically no one uses them in this town and he almost never sells one. He does sell Z's but that's to much also.

One of my guys is 6'9" he could probably walk 6 miles an hour so forget the Sulkey maybe:) As far as used stuff, its all John Deere no toros or exmarks at all.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Go with Toro! The new Toro walkbehinds for 2007 have the Turboforce deck and they have one of the best cuts out there. I bought my new belt drive Toro Turboforce deck T-bar, 15hp v-twin kaw w/tru trak sulky for $3700 and it leaves a great cut long,wet, or however you have to cut. I have been using it all spring and its been wet out most days we cut and I have never had a problem with the belts slipping, tires spinning is another story but that will happen with just about any mower when its wet out and your mowing hills.

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I like the Toro with T-bar. Playing around Saturday in my lawn, all was done in pretty short order. Can't wait to get started.

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We like both. Obviously we love our hydros, but we have a 36" Metro that is a staple to our lawn trailer. That thing is a work horse.

9. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Ive got a BOBCAT 36in w/b belt driven so far so good. Ill try a hydro next but Im part time right now [yes Im legal] Im slowly building up equipment inventory to go full time! But anyway Ive got no complaints so far!!:laugh:

10. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here if belt driven is where your at, Toro T bar is what you need. Dont have a dealer close buy find 1 you wont be let down this mower style is in a class by it self. Yove got all other belt drives then youve got your hydros, T-bar is in the middle best belt drive IMO.