Can I increase tire size a little on Toro 36"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Feb 7, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a '95 Toro 36" floating deck belt drive and it's time for new tires. They are 14x5.00-6 and I thought I might gain a little traction and top speed by going up a bit in height and width. Any problems with doing this?

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

How big is the engine? If it's a 14hp belt it might work, if it's hydro you will be loosing some power. It all depends on the engine size.

3. Nick

Nick Banned

you won't loose power, your speed will increase. The trick will be to find one that will fir your current rim, other wise you will have to change tire and rim.

4. Wrong again!!!!!

Problem you may run into is clearances. Make sure, they won't rub anything.

Best way to find the right size and width is to call.

What about a 15x600-6? can you go 1" wider

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Ok, now, im confused. I think someone is trying to be a smart aleck here. Height will increase speed but the width will increase traction. Ok,Jack?? Am I right,Mike? Correct me if I'm wrong.

6. With this paticular tire/rim, you don't have much room to go wider or taller.

Taller tire can give more speed.

Wider can increase traction.

Rim size may not accept wider, but can taller.

Got to make sure it fits the rim. You don't want a tire that has 12" of tread and a 4" wide rim.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Carisle tire offers full spec sheets on their tires, so a simple measurement will tell if the tire fits or not. Mine tires are within less than a 1/2" from rubbing, but are OK, since I just measured first..........

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, I knew to check clearance first (chuckle), just wanted to know if anyone had problems like transmission failures (I assume it means that the mower's final drive ratio is effectively geared taller) or deck rake problems or anything else I hadn't considered. I just wondered why I hadn't seen much about this strategy for speeding up mowers from lawnsite's power/speed hungry members. Made me assume their might be drawbacks. Like I said, I need new tires anyway and have tools to mount them myself, so they run only about $20 each in such a small size. Sure worth a try. I'll Ebay em if they don't work out.

I think I'll try 1" taller and 1" wider. That's only 1/2" wider on the mower side and should fit the wheel fine. The current tire is pretty skinny for the wheel width. If my math is right that would yield a 7.1% higher max ground speed on level turf. .4 mph maybe.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The Peerless trans are really strong. I'm sure there's nothing to worry that way. Also, you could always put a slightly bigger drive pulley on the trans, and spin it faster. Within reason spinning the trans won't hurt anything and actually puts less strain on the gears.

Pete