can i just rake topsoil through this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Apr 14, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

This person has about 22000 sq ft of yard that looks like this. Can i just rake top soil on the clay soil. His yard is mostly clay like you can probably see in the picture.The seeds i'm going to use are perinnal rye and tall fescue And what would you charge for something like this.

picture.jpg

2. jeff_0

from md

This is what his yard looks like after having a lawn company come in last spring and put in a new yard. he said they gave him a bag of grass seeds to put on the bare spots.

3. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

A 50/50 mix of compost and sand. pure sand can make clay into concrete. Compost adds valuable organic matter. Topdress at 1 yd per k. I charge 100 $ per yard to apply.
    I would aerate / topdress/ overseed.

4. jeff_0

from md

any other suggestions i was just going to get top soil. but if that's wrong please let me know or is the mix with compost and sand the way to go.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

It looks like a compacted mess. I would test the exisiting soil first, and then determine the appropraite amendments needed. Then , I would run a Harley renovator over the whole lawn, and introduce new soil / amendments to the top 3-6" at least. Then seed & fert, and put them on a maint. contract to care for the establishing lawn..

6. jeff_0

from md

yeah, it is a compacted mess. I can't belive the last company did such a bad job. This is in a real high dollar neighborhood. I really don't think the customer wants me to renovate his whole yard. Even though it's probably best.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Aerate the living daylights out of it, and add you compost and sand mix. You can try topdressing with topsoil after aerating, but you won't have as good of results. The peat and sand mix will be much lighter and will help much more.

8. jeff_0

from md

can you buy the compost and sand already mixed. any ideal what it cost by the yard

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I would not reccomend mixing soil types as they tend to layer, I would add compost and do the other things like aerate, gypsum is supposed to help break up clay also.

10. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Jeff ,

where are you located? Im in Harford County and can put you in touch with a place to get the compost free.