Can I kill dormant zoysia?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rockandroller, Mar 20, 2007.

1. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants to replace their zoysia with cool season. Can I kill it off while its dormant? If so what is the best method. I was thinking about waiting until it begins to grow and hit it w round-up...probably at least twice. The problem with that is that I have to wait to growth. Any suggestions?

I'd rather save my back and not dig it up entirely!

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The stuff in my area has roots that go very deep. They are like peices of wire. It will come back in a couple of years, no matter what you use on it, or how you remove it.

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

just overseed it with rye or fescue and leave it there that way it will stay green in winter. In the south they take a propane torch and burn it off to control weeds and it kills the weeds without hurting the grass, try doing that with any other kind of grass and see if it comes up next year.

4. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants the same thing, my sod dealer had told me to wait until about august (full growth) kill it with the round up then remove the dead grass. then you can properly apply the sod. The problem is, is that the neighbors lawn is all zoysia, so i will be diggin about 4 ft down and making a barrier wall (cement) hopefully that will take care of that problem, what do you all think??